Sustainability Fellowship UNH Student Spotlight: Ella Longacre ‘26

Professional headshot of Ella Longacre smiling with a suit jacket and blue blouse

Ella Longacre '26

Ella Longacre ‘26 (Business Admin: Information Systems and Business Analytics & Sustainability Dual Major) is working hard with Hypertherm Associates as their Sustainability Fellow for the summer.  

Hypertherm engineers and manufactures industrial cutting products used by companies around the world to build ships, airplanes, and railcars, construct steel buildings, manufacture heavy equipment, and more. They are committed to becoming more sustainable, and we are delighted that they partnered with us this summer to host a Fellow.  

We had the opportunity to interview Ella to learn about her Fellowship and her passion for integrating sustainability within business. 

What got you interested in the Fellowship and what do you hope to accomplish? 

I was drawn to the Fellowship to stand out as a business major and add a focus on sustainability, which I'm passionate about. When I was looking at the Fellowship positions, I really liked how many combine working with a business and incorporating sustainability. Hypertherm has been committed to implementing sustainability for a while and wants to offset their carbon emissions. Their innovative projects to offset carbon emissions sparked my interest. I wanted this Fellowship position to connect my business knowledge with sustainability knowledge.

"This being my first internship, I have broadened my network and created connections within and outside Hypertherm. Engaging with various stakeholders has shown me that many people care about sustainability, even if it's not their primary job." - Ella

What is your project about and what is your role? 

I am researching the implementation of a Miyawaki Forest on Hypertherm property. Miyawaki Forests originated in Japan and have been popularized in Asia, and now they are catching attention in the United States. They are small, dense forests with a lot of varied species, which accelerates growth to maturity in 20 years compared to the usual 100 years for other forests. Hypertherm aims to be carbon neutral by 2030, and this forest helps offset their carbon emissions while providing ecosystem resilience, biodiversity, and benefits like stormwater retention and natural cooling. My role involves researching this concept, planning the implementation, setting up contacts and vendors, and justifying the investment to upper management due to its future benefits. 

What are you most excited about regarding your project? 

I am excited to make a tangible impact on my community, as Hypertherm is in Lebanon, NH which is close to where I grew up. Helping my local community become more sustainable and showing that innovative projects can succeed is what I look forward to most, especially if we reach the implementation stage. 

Overhead view of a yellow bucket with soil inside of it

Soil sampling

What does sustainability mean to you and how does it impact you? 

Sustainability means making the world better for future generations both socially and environmentally. While I am particularly interested in the environmental aspect, achieving environmental goals and SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) requires social equity. Growing up in a green area, I appreciate the importance of creating green spaces for those who lack access, and I aim to help make the world greener for all. 

Have you been involved with sustainability before at UNH?

I participated in the B Impact Clinic, working with Tanbark, a manufacturer of molded fiber products in Saco, ME. This experience gave me a deep understanding of what it means to be a B Corp and the sustainability measures required. Hypertherm is also a B Corp, so this knowledge has been valuable in understanding their dedication to sustainability.  I hope to do the Climate Action Clinic within the next year too!

Green grass field, trees on the sides, and blue sky

What are your biggest takeaways from participating in the fellowship? 

My biggest takeaways are meeting new people and understanding how the business world works. This being my first internship, I have broadened my network and created connections within and outside Hypertherm. Engaging with various stakeholders has shown me that many people care about sustainability, even if it's not their primary job. 

Meeting other Fellows in person at the launch event was also exciting, as it was inspiring to see other students around my age caring about similar issues and helping regional companies improve. 

What was something that surprised you about the Fellowship? 

I was surprised by the program's scale and how UNH attracts successful graduate and undergraduate students. Also, at Hypertherm, I appreciate being treated like an employee rather than an intern, and the welcoming and inclusive nature of the employees has been fantastic. 

How do you feel this Fellowship has impacted you professionally and personally? 

Professionally, it has improved my communication skills, as I have reached out to various Hypertherm associates and external stakeholders. This experience has helped me effectively communicate my project and present myself professionally in person and through virtual communications. Personally, it has pushed me out of my comfort zone, allowing me to be more social with other interns and working professionals at Hypertherm.