Alumni Spotlight: George Anderson '22

George Anderson '22 | Environmental Sciences: Ecosystems

Professional headshot of George Anderson smiling wearing a red, white, and blue checkered collared shirt.

George Anderson '22

George Anderson ‘22 (Environmental Sciences Major: Ecosystems) recently became an advisory group member of the esteemed Young Professionals in Energy (YPiE), a Clean Energy NH program. Anderson has been committed to Sustainability efforts for years now.

After growing up in Bow, NH, he attended UNH to pursue a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science. During his undergrad, he participated in the Sustainability Institute's B Impact Clinic, was a TA for the Sustainability Dual Major elective, “Business, People, Planet, and Profit”, was a Research Associate for the Sustainability Lab, and was the Zero Waste Sustainability Intern.

After graduation, Anderson has taken his tenacity with him into his career. He started as a Sustainability Coordinator at Endicott College and recently joined Unitil Corporation’s team as their Sustainability Project Manager.

In a recent interview, Anderson shared his experiences and gave insight into what it is like to have a career in sustainability.

George Anderson smiling and standing on rock with a mountain in the background.

"All in all, I left my undergraduate experience with an abundance of meaningful work experience that allowed me to break into a career in sustainability."

How have your UNH education and undergraduate experiences helped get you where you are now or opened doors to opportunities?

My affinity for conservation and environmental sustainability is rooted in my upbringing, but I hadn’t considered it as a career until I arrived at UNH. One course in particular that I took to fulfill a Discovery Credit requirement exposed me to the idea of corporate sustainability and the idea of using business as a force for good. Even today, I credit that class with putting me onto the idea of pursuing a career in sustainability.

There’s no shortage of professional development opportunities within the realm of sustainability at UNH. During my time as an undergraduate, I interned with the Sustainability Institute, participated in a few sustainability-oriented student organizations, and attended an abundance of webinars and workshops pertaining to sustainability and environmental justice. Following my graduation in 2022, I immediately stepped into a UNH Sustainability Fellowship role. All in all, I left my undergraduate experience with an abundance of meaningful work experience that allowed me to break into a career in sustainability.

What got you interested in being an advisory group member of the esteemed Young Professionals in Energy (YPiE) and what do you hope to accomplish?

According to the United Nations, to accomplish the transition towards net-zero emissions, energy-related industries will require upwards of 16 million workers globally to take on new roles in manufacturing, clean energy production, and efficiency (United Nations Article). That being said, there are still significant gaps between this goal and the careers that are necessary to accomplish it. The size of the energy workforce remains unchanged, and the industry workforce age tends to average considerably older than other sectors. What excites me most about Young Professionals in Energy is the opportunity to advocate for, enhance understanding of, and promote careers in the energy sector for young people.

" It’s an incredibly rewarding experience to be at the forefront of the clean energy transition."

What would you advise other students who are interested in pursuing a career that involves sustainability in some way across different industries? What about students who are interested in entering the energy industry?

Don’t underestimate the power of networking. Careers in sustainability are unique in the sense that they’re purpose-driven. Speaking for myself, I love what I do, and I feel like I’m constantly exchanging ideas and learning more from other sustainability professionals across sectors. Generally speaking, folks in this line of work are eager to connect with others over our shared affinity for people and the planet. Chances are there’s a professional group, a volunteer organization, or a social club you can join centered around environmental sustainability near you.

As for the energy sector in particular: don’t be intimidated! As somebody who’s constantly juggling electric vehicles, renewable energy, and policy projects, I’m learning on the job every single day. It’s an inherently complex and rapidly evolving landscape with potential for significant social, environmental, and economic impact. It’s an incredibly rewarding experience to be at the forefront of the clean energy transition. If you’re looking for a challenge that will test your quantitative reasoning, your policy know-how, and technical understanding of energy systems, this is absolutely the path for you.

More about the Sustainability Institute and Unitil Corporation partnership:

An investor-owned public utility serving Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire, Unitil supports UNH Sustainability programming and students through their philanthropic support of our Summer Sustainability Fellows program, as well as their sponsorship annually of the SVIC. They have also mentored and supported UNH students through their participation in a number of our programs, including the UNH B Impact Clinic and the Summer Sustainability Fellows, and have now hired several sustainability graduates from UNH.