Faculty to host virtual info session on February 16

Tuesday, February 9, 2021
Stephen Pimpare, principal lecturer of American politics and public policy at UNH Manchester

Stephen Pimpare, principal lecturer of American politics and public policy, will host a virtual info session about UNH Manchester's public service and nonprofit leadership program, Feb. 16.

At its heart, public service is the act of contributing toward the greater good. Drawing on roots in political science, sociology, history and economics, the public service and nonprofit leadership program at UNH Manchester is designed for students who are also concerned citizens driven to find solutions to public issues.

Virtual Public Service and Nonprofit Leadership Info Session
Tuesday, Feb. 16 | 5 - 6 p.m.
Register today

Join us for a virtual info session on February 16 at 5 p.m. to discover how UNH Manchester's public service major prepares students for a broad range of careers in fields including civil service, education, law, nonprofits and more. You'll also learn about the built-in accelerated path to a master's degree in public administration or public policy from UNH Carsey School of Public Policy.

The virtual info session will be led by Stephen Pimpare, Ph.D., who has inspired students with his passion and expertise on American politics and public policy since joining the UNH Manchester faculty six years ago. Pimpare is a nationally recognized expert on poverty, homelessness and U.S. social policy, having appeared on national and international radio and TV outlets as well as published several books.

What do you like best about your job?

SP: It’s the boring answer, but it’s the honest one – our students are amazing. In part because so many have so many responsibilities beyond their school work, there’s a seriousness of purpose that I really appreciate.

What are your hobbies?

SP: Any spare time is typically spent reading or writing, but I do love to cook.

Tell us your favorite:

• New Hampshire destination: There’s a particular old stone bridge, with a small waterfall and creek below it, out in Hillsboro that is equally magical in summer or when it’s frozen over in winter. It’s not far from some pretty good hiking trails, too.
  • Book:  I find myself returning most to Armistead Maupin’s Tales of the City books and to Dostoevsky’s Brothers Karamazov. Surely that says something about my tastes in fiction, but I’m not sure what. For books in my field, there is still nothing that matches Frances Fox Piven and Richard Cloward’s Regulating the Poor, both for the clarity of its thought and its prose, and for lasting insight into the deeper structures of American political development.
  • Movie: I still find Hitchcock’s Notorious mesmerizing (and it has to be among Ingrid Bergman’s best performances), and I can still be utterly charmed, for some reason, by Kathleen Turner and Dennis Quaid (and Stanley Tucci and Fiona Shaw!) in the very silly Undercover Blues.
  • Childhood book: Does Lord of the Rings count as a children’s book? I must have read it four or five times as a pre-teen. In my younger days, I believe I read all of the Hardy Boys mysteries and have a vague memory of gently harassing a local librarian, not quite believing her when she told me that there were no more and that I’d read them all.
  • Childhood TV show: Well, Sesame Street, obviously. I felt a certain kinship with Oscar. I like to think I’ve mellowed with age and am a bit more like Kermit now.

Learn more about Professor Pimpare and UNH Manchester's public service and nonprofit leadership program at our virtual info session on Tuesday, February 16 at 5 p.m. RSVP today

public service virtual info session, feb. 16

Producer: 
Kassidy Taylor | Marketing & Communications, UNH Manchester | kassidy.taylor@unh.edu
In partnership with UNH’s Carsey School of Public Policy, the University of New Hampshire at Manchester has launched a new Bachelor of Arts in Public Service and Nonprofit Leadership.