Thursday, November 5, 2020

We know incoming freshmen and their families have a lot of questions about the academic, cultural and social climate at UNH Manchester. That's why we're introducing you to the Peer Assistant Leaders (PALs) who help first-year students adjust to campus life. This week's PAL is Katie Leger '23, an English Teaching major and graduate of Londonderry High School.

What do you like best about being a PAL?

I enjoy meeting new people and love helping people learn.

What advice do you have for new students?

Definitely get involved and never be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck along the way.

What brought you to UNH Manchester?

I really wanted to be able to work while going to school, so I found UNH Manchester to be the best option for me!

What’s your favorite class and why?

My favorite class so far has been Writing About Literature with Professor Walsh because all of the readings we did for the class were super interesting and lead to some really good class discussions.

What do you hope to be doing in 10 years?

In 10 years from now I hope to have obtained my Master of Education degree and found a school to teach at. I also hope that I’m healthy and happy with a house of my own. I hope that I am still loving the world of education and working towards another degree.

Tell us your favorite:

• Manchester restaurant: The Bridge Cafe
  • New Hampshire destination: Anywhere up in the White Mountains
  • Vacation destination: Aruba
  • Movie: Before I Wake
  • Book: Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

If I could travel anywhere in the world I would definitely go to Australia. Sydney Australia looks so beautiful—I hope I’ll be able to check it off my bucket list in the future!

As a child, what did you wish to become when you grew up?

When I was younger, I always dreamed of being a teacher because I had some amazing teachers growing up who always went above and beyond. To this day my dream hasn’t changed much, I hope one day I’ll have the same positive impact my teachers had on me to my future students.

We’d be surprised to know that…

Most people are surprised when I tell them I love to fish.

If you could try anything and not fail, what dream would you attempt?

If I could try anything and not fail I would love to be a celebrity make-up artist.

If you could go on a road trip with anyone (from the past or present), who would you choose and where would you go?

If I could go on a road trip with anyone, I would bring Salvador Dalí and Frida Kahlo. Both are famous artists from the past who I’d love to be able to talk to in person just about their lives and inspirations for their work. I would probably road trip across the coast in Mexico because of the beautiful views and the nice weather.

CONSIDERING UNH MANCHESTER?
Offering the world-class UNH education in Manchester, UNH Manchester has undergraduate and graduate programs in today's high-demand fields. Learn more and apply now for spring or fall 2021. LEARN MORE