Tuesday, January 21, 2020

"In Our Own Voices" is a photo and story gallery celebrating diversity and the voices that make the UNH Manchester community a wonderful place to live, learn and grow. Their stories are our story—and we are proud to tell it. Surya Kranthi Siyadri '20G came to UNH Manchester from India to pursue a master's in information technology. He shares his story below.

***

Growing up in India, I always dreamed about studying abroad in the United States, despite it being an unwelcomed notion by my family and community. As an elder son, I was expected to get settled in a career, get married and start a family—leaving a well-paid job and aging parents was highly opposed. It took me seven years to overcome my fears, work on my finances and gain the strength and support I needed to pursue my dreams.

“It took seven years to overcome my fears, work on my finances and gain the strength and support I needed to pursue my dreams.”

Since the day I landed in the US, I have been overwhelmed with the welcoming reception from everyone at UNH Manchester. I was one of the first international students to come here, and I immediately seized the opportunity to work with other international students at the UNH Graduate School office. I am empowered to come up with creative solutions to issues that international students face, and to share cultural diversity with the campus community.

Welcoming people from all over the world, UNH Manchester is building a culture that celebrates different perspectives—and empowers students to learn from one another.

David Vogt | Communications and Public Affairs