Monday, February 1, 2016

Enactus

For me after coming to UNH Manchester as a transfer student and discovering Enactus, it was almost immediately something I wanted to take part in. The program, which recently rebranded itself from its original identify Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE), was the perfect fit for my combined interests in business, helping other by actively engaging in my community and getting hands on experience.

After considering participation, I decided to take the leap and I am so glad I did. Enactus, which stands for Entrepreneurial Action Us, is an international organization that brings together thousands of students, educators and business leaders to empower and transform the lives of people through sustainable entrepreneurial initiatives and innovation. 

There are over 100 company sponsors, many of whom are present for the Enactus exclusive job fair held during competition events. At this job fair you are able to speak and interact with representatives from big names companies like Unilever, Johnson & Johnson, 3M, Microsoft and many more. Many of these companies offer exclusive internship, co-op and job opportunities specifically to Enactus members. There really is an unparalleled opportunity for you to get your foot in the door at some of the most sought-after employers in business.

In a lot of ways, like everything else, your experience is what you make of it. There are many pathways to develop yourself personally and professionally, and Enactus is one such opportunity.

For me, Enactus has been a transformative experience. I have had the opportunity to work with executive directors of nonprofits, marketing their programs and projects; touching many lives including those of refugees, military veterans and rescue dogs.

This past year, I was the Project Lead on the Canine Community Corps project. Canine Community Corps (CCC) is a nonprofit that promotes rescue, dignity and service among military veterans, prison inmates and shelter dogs.

While taking on and sharing in the many challenges and obstacles that start-up nonprofits face, the team aided CCC in branding itself, reaching out to potential participants, volunteers, donors and advocates and designing business initiatives to sustain the organization for the future. In just the few months we have worked with the organization we have seen drastic growth in its visibility, establishing itself as a vital community resource in the Greater Seacoast area in Maine and New Hampshire and beyond. A handful of veterans have been connected with their best friends and an invaluable emotional support system.

One of the most rewarding experiences working with CCC was being a part of the journey between Sam, a Marine Corp veteran, and Rocky, a rescue dog who faced being euthanized in Georgia. 

Sam, who battles Post-traumatic Stress Disorder and Traumatic Brain Injury, and Rocky immediately hit it off, a perfect match from the very beginning. Today, Rocky joins Sam at his job at the NH Employment Services office in North Conway where he serves veterans facing many of the same challenges he faced and is facing. Sam has been empowered by Rocky; together they participate in regular jogs, climb mountains and have taken on a half marathon. Sam also has plans to run in the Boston Marathon next year. It is hard to express in words what it’s like to be involved in this process. It is not everyday that you can play a part in creating a foundation and building the groundwork for an organization that will save many lives and change countless others.

Yes, you really do add great experience to your resume, but for me one of the biggest accomplishments has been getting out of my comfort zone and experiencing an exponential growth in confidence. As someone that freely admits to being shy, Enactus has not only allowed me to think outside the box to improve the lives of others using business concepts, but it has also pushed me to step outside of my own self-imposed box and challenge myself.

The difference between when I started Enactus and today is remarkable. My Enactus peers (alumni and current) and advisor Dr. Kelly Kilcrease have and would echo this transformation.

The overall experience is rewarding in so many ways, what I’ve mentioned here is only a sample. Today, I credit Enactus for helping me grow personally and professionally, make friends with my teammates and connections in the community.

It is for these reasons and many more I encourage anyone who is interested or think they may be interested to check out Enactus. All majors are welcome. Take the leap and see the ever unfolding potential and opportunity it has for you. 

by Kristen Mosher, Business major