Monday, April 27, 2015

Nathan Domingues

After three years of college at James Madison University in Virginia, Nathan Domingues packed up and headed home to New Hampshire for personal reasons.

At 26, the Nashua native and 2004 Nashua High School graduate wasn't sure if he should take a break from school, or try to find one closer to home.

"I took a year off and then decided to give UNH Manchester a shot," Domingues, now 29, said. "A couple of friends from high school attended UNH Manchester while I was at JMU, and they loved it here."

It didn’t take Domingues long to agree with them.

"I can't say enough about UNH Manchester," Domingues, a biology major, said. "The students are great, and the faculty is even better. Everyone is so friendly and willing to lend a hand if you need help. And the academic office made it a seamless transition as a transfer student, making sure I got all the credits I could transferred in."

Domingues said he realized pretty quickly how big a difference small class sizes make. With classes as large as 125 students, he said JMU couldn’t provide the individual attention that UNH Manchester faculty do.

“At UNH Manchester there is rarely, or never, a class over 30 people, which is a great," Domingues said. "With the small class sizes you don't just feel like a number, the teacher knows your name, and you get to know the people in your class much better. It is just a better overall learning experience I think."

Domingues said he recommends UNH Manchester to his fellow Nashua High grads for its education and proximity.

"Nashua students should consider UNH Manchester because it’s a short drive, tuition is minimal compared to other colleges and universities, small class size, the new Pandora building with its awesome amenities, the new laboratories — if you're into science — are awesome, and it has a great student body and faculty," Domingues said.

Another advantage is UNH Manchester's flexible schedule, which Domingues said allowed him to work his way up at St. Joseph Hospital in Nashua. He started at St. Joe's in January of 2009 as a Central Sterile Reprocessing Technician, the department responsible for the proper decontamination and sterilization of surgical instruments. After three years, he was able to transfer up to the Operating Room as an O.R. Unit Aide.  Domingues learned how to prepare and clean rooms for surgery, assisted nurses, ensured case carts were pulled and checked for the day and ordered and stocked surgical supplies. A year and a half later, the hospital added to his responsibilities by allowing him to assist in the Anesthesia department.

"These jobs have given me valuable work experience over the last 6 years," Domingues said. "I am not sure if I want to get into the medical field, but healthcare is always a good sector for job growth. I have met so many great people at St. Joes, and have received a lot of adivce from all of them. I know when graduation comes, that UNH Manchester and St. Joes have given me the tools to succeed in the workplace and in life."

Domingues expects to graduate in May 2016. He said after graduation he hopes to move to Washington, D.C., where his brother and a few friends live. He said he wants to get a job in his field in the capital, possibly with the government. But for now, he is focused on his college experience.

"UNH Manchester has been a great experience for me. Through the next two semesters I hope to really solidify what I want to do in the biology field," Domingues said.  "Ultimately I want to either work in a lab or do field research outside. I know that once I get a job, everything that UNH Manchester has taught me will come in handy. They have prepared me the best they can for life after graduation."

Written by Melanie Plenda

Learn more about the biological sciences program