The Inside Scoop on Dessert

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Grant Cochrane

Do you ever find yourself craving a little something sweet after dinner? Or lunch? Or even just because? If you answered yes, know that you are certainly not alone! In honor of national dessert month, its time to celebrate and appreciate our sweet tooth. People talk about how “bad” or “forbidden” dessert is when the reality is, dessert can be your friend, not your enemy. Yes, eating a brownie sundae with hot fudge and whipped cream every day may not be the most nutritious habit, but once in a while? Go right ahead! Everything is good in moderation! Dessert also doesn’t have to be a “cheat” or a “guilty pleasure”, you can incorporate it into your daily eating habits. The key is picking the kinds of desserts that are also nutritious! Fruit is sweet and delicious and is packed with nutrients that you need in your diet. Mix some blueberries and strawberries with a little bit of low-fat yogurt for a nice parfait! Try a smoothie! Frozen yogurt (especially greek frozen yogurt) is another great option. Mix some fruit with a half cup of frozen yogurt for a cool and refreshing treat. Sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon on your dessert, cinnamon can have positive effects on your blood glucose levels and insulin resistance levels. For chocoholics like me, enjoy some dark chocolate. Dark chocolate can have positive effects on your blood pressure and cholesterol, so dig in chocolate lovers! Something I’ve tried recently is freezing bananas that are covered in dark chocolate and sprinkled with crushed nuts. I can enjoy the sweetness and the knowledge that I am eating something nutritious as well. Have fun and be creative with making your desserts, your sweet tooth and your stomach will thank you later! 

For some great ideas for healthful desserts, visit the Eating Well website

Comments

Love love love sweets!

I have always had such a sweet tooth and love finding and/or creating healthy desserts! 

yum yum

This article made my mouth water. I have a HUGE sweet tooth. I can't go one day without eating chocolate of some sort. Ice cream is my favorite though :)