McNair Scholars Program 20th Anniversary Research Symposium
Poster Presentations - Friday, April 20, 2012 (6:30-7:30 p.m.)
Memorial Union Building
Oral Presentations - Saturday, April 21, 2012 (9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
Memorial Union Building
The McNair Scholars Program will celebrate its history and legacy by hosting the 20th Anniversary Research Symposium, which will be held in conjunction with the annual University of New Hampshire Undergraduate Research Conference (URC). This symposium brings together undergraduate students from a range of disciplines to promote undergraduate scholarly work. The McNair program is dedicated to increasing the number of individuals from underrepresented groups (low-income, first-generation, and/or racial minority) who are interested in pursuing and obtaining doctoral degrees and careers in academia. This Anniversary Symposium provides a forum for commemorating success in undergraduate research.
Students have the option of doing an oral or poster presentation. Guidelines for these presentations are as follows.
Poster: The requirements for poster presentations are as follows:
• Each presenter will be assigned a specific poster board/stand with poster-clips, which will be provided to attach the research poster to the board/stand.
• Posters may be no larger than 40”x60”
• Materials must be easily read at a distance of four feet. Each poster should include the title of the presentation (104-point size), the author(s) and affiliation(s) (72-point size). A point size of 16-18 or larger is recommended for body text.
• You may request a display table to place materials such as handouts or a sign-up sheet to record the names and address of attendees who might wish to receive more information, reprints, etc.
• No power cords or extension cords will be provided in poster presentation rooms, however the use of electrical equipment is permitted.
Oral: Oral presentations will be conducted in a panel-discussion format with three or four oral presenters with similar topics/disciplines.
• Presentations will be 10 minutes with 5 minutes allotted at the end of each presentation for questions.
• A PC laptop computer and LCD projector will be provided in each oral presentation room. Please plan to use the PC laptop that is provided.
• Please plan to arrive at your assigned presentation room 10 minutes before your assigned presentation group/block is scheduled to begin to allow time for your presentation to be downloaded to the laptop, and to meet the moderator and arrange presentation order.
• If you are using a PowerPoint presentation, bring the document on a USB flash drive. Include your last name in the file name of your PowerPoint presentation in the following format: "[YOUR LAST NAME] - PRESENTATION".
Deadline for Conference Registration: February 15, 2012
Presentation Registration Deadline: March 2, 2012
Hotel Reservation Deadline: February 20, 2012
Friday, April 20
• Poster Presentations: 6:30-7:30pm
Saturday, April 21
• Oral Presentations: Session #1: 9:30am-11:30am
Session #2: 2:30pm-4:30pm
Contact: Victoria Adewumi, (603) 862-0088
A Brief History of the Program
The Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program is a federal program sponsored by the US Department of Education to recruit participants from disadvantaged backgrounds who have demonstrated strong academic potential. Institutions work closely with participants as they complete their undergraduate requirements and encourage enrollment in graduate programs. The progress of participants is tracked through successful completion of advanced degrees. The McNair Scholars Program at UNH has served over 250 undergraduates since its inception. Students have conducted research in a variety of settings nationally and internationally in almost every academic discipline. Thirty-three UNH McNair alumni have earned doctoral degrees, five of whom are serving as tenured or tenure track faculty members at higher education institutions across the US. More than twenty-five UNH McNair alumni are currently enrolled in graduate programs of study.
- About the URC
- Calendar of Events
- Support the URC
- News & Announcements
- URC Community
- URC Archives
- Calendar of Events
- Event Descriptions
- COLSA Undergraduate Research Conference
- Interdisciplinary Science & Engineering Symposium
- Parents Association Undergraduate Research Symposium
- The Naked Arts - Creativity Exposed!
- Paul College Undergraduate Research Conference
- Paul College University-wide Paul J. Holloway Prize Innovation-to-Market Competition
- UNH Manchester Undergraduate Research Conference
- Attending the URC
- Related Links