UNH Votes

Voting Options

Voting in New Hampshire is quick and easy, especially when you bring appropriate identification. A valid state driver’s license or non-driver ID proves your identity, your age, and your domicile (if it shows the address you are claiming as your voting domicile). A lease or piece of mail will also show your domicile. A birth certificate (or copy) or passport will prove your citizenship. If you lack proper identification, you may fill out an affidavit (a legal document attesting to your identity and domicile). You may register in person at the town or city clerk’s office up to 10 days prior to an election, or on Election Day at the polling place.Male student registering to vote

Vote in your hometown on Primary Election Day or General Election Day. See residency information.

Vote using an absentee ballot. Register ahead of time or request an absentee registration affidavit and voter form from your city or town clerk. List of New Hampshire clerks.

You can also visit www.rockthevote.com to find out how to register and vote, regardless of whether you vote in your hometown or in your domicile while attending UNH.

Vote in Durham if you are prepared to declare it as your domicile. Check out the town clerk’s Web site at www.ci.durham.nh.us and click on “Register to Vote”. Or call at (603) 868-5577. This office is located on 15 Newmarket Rd. The direct link is www.ci.durham.nh.us/DEPARTMENTS/town_clerk/voting.htmlSeptember and NOvember Calendar images

Important Dates

Primary Election is Sept. 9, 2014
Election Day registration available at the polls

General Election is Nov. 4, 2014
Registration deadline is Oct. 25, 2014
Election Day registration available at the polls


How to Register

Residency requirements

New Hampshire election law provides college students with a special privilege when determining where they register to vote. A college student in New Hampshire may choose as his/her voting domicile either the domicile he/she held before entering college or the domicile he/she has established while attending college.UNH Presisent Huddleston at podium honoring student activism

Students may ONLY have one voting domicile.

For more details, visit the New Hampshire Secretary of State’s Election Division.

Changing your legal address may impact other things, such as health insurance, car insurance, taxes, and scholarships or grants. See more at “Frequently Asked Questions.”

Registering in New Hampshire

Whether you register at your previous domicile (in your hometown) or at a college address, you will be asked to show documentation to establish your identity, age, domicile, and citizenship. Your state driver’s license will establish your identity, will be proof of age, and will be proof of domicile provided it shows the address you are claiming as your voting domicile. If you do not have a current driver’s license, you can prove your qualifications in other ways, such as a passport, state-issued photo ID. If you don’t have proof of residence and/or proof of citizenship, you will be asked to sign a sworn affidavit attesting under oath your domicile or citizenship.

You can find contact information for your city or town clerk at the Secretary of State’s Office.

In New Hampshire, you can also register the day you vote. It’s also a good idea to register ahead of time.

You can claim only one city/town as your domicile (legal residence) at a time. A domicile is that place, more than any other, where you sleep most nights of the year, or to which you intend to return after a temporary absence.
You can also call the New Hampshire Secretary of State Office at 1-866-868-3703.

If you are voting in another state

Contact your town clerk or Secretary of State. Or, visit the Election Assistance Commission for easy-to-follow links, and registration forms.

Of Note

RSA 659:13 requires that, before any voter can obtain a ballot, the voter must either show an approved form of identification or complete a Challenged Voter Affidavit. Please note that voters who complete an Affidavit will receive a card from the NH Secretary of State after the election seeking confirmation that the person did in fact vote. The Attorney General’s Office is required to investigate all Challenged Voter Affidavits for which the Secretary of State does not receive a confirmation of vote by mail. http://sos.nh.gov/voterid.aspx