UNH Votes

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who is qualified to vote?

A: Every inhabitant of New Hampshire who is a U.S. citizen and 18 or older.

Q: Where can I get a voter registration form?

A: From your city or town clerk. For contact information, visit: http://cfs.sos.nh.gov/app/Public/ClerkDetails.aspx

Q: How do I determine residency for voting purposes?

A: A college student in New Hampshire may choose as his/her voting domicile either the domicile he/she held before entering college or the domicile he/she has established while attending college. Students may ONLY have one voting domicile. For details, visit the New Hampshire Secretary of State’s Election Division.

Q: What are the consequences of changing my legal address?

A: The Secretary of State’s office cautions that changing your address may impact other things, such as:
Health insurance
: Most health insurance is not affected. If you obtain insurance through a family plan that requires your legal domicile to be your family residence, you may want to check with your family or your insurance agent.
Car insurance: Usually affected only if you obtain insurance through a family plan that requires your legal domicile to be your family residence. Check with your family or your insurance agent.
Taxes: Only individuals with significant assets or tax liabilities might be affected. If you are in this category, you may want to check with your tax adviser.
Scholarships or grants: Some scholarships and grants are conditioned on your being and remaining at a legal resident of a particular town/city or state. Financial aid officers report that major student loan and grant programs including Pell, Perkins, Stafford, PLUS, SEOG, and Federal work study are not affected. Check with your financial aid officer.
Many legal interests, such as your in-state versus out-of-state tuition status are not affected by establishing your voting domicile in the municipality where you live while attending college.

If you have questions about the election laws, the complete laws are available at http://sos.nh.gov/Election_Laws.aspx. Questions may also be directed to the Secretary of State's Office at 603-271-3242, or to your town/city supervisors of the checklist or clerk. If you believe your rights as a voter are being denied you may file a complaint with the Attorney General's Office by calling toll free 1-866-868-3703 (1-866-voter03).

Q: When can I register to vote?

A: You may register in person at your city or town clerk’s office up to 10 days prior to the election. You may also register on Election Day at your polling place.

Q: What forms of identification will I need?

A: Registering to vote is quick and easy with a valid state driver’s license or non-driver ID, provided it shows the address that you are claiming as your voting domicile. If you do not have proper ID, you may complete an affidavit—a legal document vouching for your identification, domicile, and/or citizenship. See more at the Secretary of State’s Office.

Q: Can I register to vote on-line?

A: New Hampshire does not allow on-line voter registration.

Q: What if I am unable to register in person?

A: If you meet the state's voter requirements and qualifications and are unable to register in person because of physical disability, religious beliefs, military service, or because of temporary absence, you may register by mail.  You should request an absentee voter registration affidavit and a standard voter registration form from your town/city clerk.  The absentee voter registration affidavit must be witnessed and then both the affidavit and the voter registration form are to be returned to your town/city clerk.

Q: Can I still vote if I can’t get to the polls on Election Day?

A: Absentee ballots are available from your town or city clerk approximately 30 days prior to an election.  Request the absentee ballot application from the clerk or you may download the application; or, if you wish, you may submit a request in writing, which should include all the information that is required on the application. Don't forget your name, voting address, mailing address and your signature.

Q: Do I have to declare a party affiliation when I register?

A: No. When registering to vote in New Hampshire, you will not be required to register as a member of a political party (Republican or Democratic). You may register as an undeclared voter.  If you are registered as an undeclared voter and go to vote in a state primary election, you will be required to choose a party when accepting a ballot. Voters should be aware of their party status before a primary election.  If you voted on a party ballot in the 2008 state primary, you are now a registered member of that party unless you filled out a card to return to undeclared status with the supervisors of the checklist.

Q: What if my home is in another state, and I want to vote there while I’m at UNH?

A: Contact your town clerk or Secretary of State. Or, visit the Election Assistance Commission for easy-to-follow links, and registration forms.