IBEX (Interstellar Boundary Explorer) Star Sensor Calibration and Astrometric Transformation
Morgan O'Neill, a physics major and honors student, spent the summer conducting research at the Space Research Center in Warsaw, Poland. Her work on the Interstellar Boundary Explorer (IBEX) mission, which launched in October 2008, began the summer after her freshman year and culminated with her senior thesis.
"This has been such an amazing summer and it has happened way too fast," she said after returning from Poland. "It's been a perfect amount of time and I'm thrilled that I was able to do so much work and see so much of Poland. I have so many stories!"
Morgan enjoyed working with her mentors and said she learned a lot from them, "not just about physics and programming, but about the culture and history of Poland."
Upon returning to UNH she was glad to be back, but hopes to return to Poland some day and become fluent in Polish. "I gained poor conversational skills while I was there, and it was thrilling to exchange information in another language," she said of the experience.
Morgan was the Tyco Scholar for her year and worked with UNH Physics Professor Eberhard Moebius. She won an award for her research at the Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Symposium (ISE) and entered graduate school at M.I.T. in fall 2009.
- About Us
- The Programs
- Research Experience and Apprenticeship Program (REAP)
- INCO 590/790
- Undergraduate Research Awards (URA)
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships (SURF)
- International Research Opportunities Program (IROP)
- Study Abroad Research Grants
- Honors Thesis Grants
- Research Presentation Grants
- For Researchers
- How to Begin
- Application Deadlines
- Proposal Writing Workshops
- Writing an Effective International Proposal
- Writing an Effective URA/SURF Proposal
- Criteria for Application Review
- Faculty Research Interests
- Present and Publish
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- Other Research Opportunities
- Related Interests
- For Faculty
- For Benefactors
- Recent Grant Recipients
- Awards and Scholarships
- Inquiry journal