As a major research university, UNH provides all students with the unique and valuable opportunity to conduct research and collaborate with faculty experts during their undergraduate years.
UNH's Hamel Center for Undergraduate Research provides the resources and financial support for the research, scholarly and creative projects of UNH students. Whether it's investigating moose habitat, examining the effects of the European monetary union, or composing music for a theater production, each year students from all fields of study receive grants to embark on their own explorations. The Center also supports international undergraduate research and helps students share their research findings widely, within and beyond the University. Currently, 100% of the funding for undergraduate research awards and fellowships comes from donor gifts.
Why support undergraduate research?
There are numerous educational benefits to doing research. Students learn to work collaboratively with a faculty mentor; sharpen their problem-solving skills; learn about current issues, methods, and leaders in their chosen field(s); and apply concepts learned in the classroom to "real life" situations. Of particular benefit to them on a professional level are the opportunities to explore potential careers, improve their communication skills, and learn how to work effectively as part of a team. All of these things allow the student to grow as a critical and independent thinker, build confidence and independence, and increase awareness of ethical issues. As a result, the student will be well prepared to enter the workplace or to attend graduate and other professional schools.
- About Us
- The Programs
- Research Experience and Apprenticeship Program (REAP)
- INCO 590/790
- Undergraduate Research Awards (URA)
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships (SURF)
- International Research Opportunities Program (IROP)
- Study Abroad Research Grants
- Honors Thesis Grants
- Research Presentation Grants
- For Researchers
- How to Begin
- Application Deadlines
- Proposal Writing Workshops
- Writing an Effective IROP Proposal
- Writing an Effective URA/SURF Proposal
- Criteria for Application Review
- Faculty Research Interests
- Present and Publish
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- Other Research Opportunities
- Related Interests
- For Faculty
- For Benefactors
- Recent Grant Recipients
- Inquiry journal