Then & Now
The UNH campus has changed in the last century. Time for a refresher course.
A story in the Fall 2012 issue of UNH Magazine.
Comments? Share your thoughts.
ON THE LAWN: Professor Depew and the student committee known as the Commissary Department pose for a photo in front of T-Hall in 1921. The group was charged with ordering food for the annual New Hampshire Day picnic. Front row, second from the right, is Carl Lundholm '21, who became UNH's first athletic director. Lundholm Gymnasium was named after him in 1968. Fourth from the right, rear, is Ernest Christensen ' 23, who later coached both hockey and football at UNH. Christensen Hall was named for him in 1970. (See entire list of names below.) Playing touch football on the T-Hall lawn in fall 2012, below, are, from left, Christa Fagone '16, Angel Taveras '16, Ryan Fanning '16 and Raymond Ramos '16.1921 photo: see student names
A VISION FULFILLED: In this 1895 photo, Thompson Hall dominates the landscape, representing the vision of Benjamin Thompson, who bequeathed his farm and fortune to the state for an agricultural college. Running through the middle of campus are the B&M Railroad tracks, which were later moved to their current location. In 1893, the entering class of students numbered 51. More than 15,200 take classes on the Durham campus today, and the same view, below, shows T-Hall surrounded by buildings and trees. The corner of Morrill Hall is just visible to the left, and James Hall, renovated in 2010, is in full view.
DOWNTIME IN THE DORM: In 1922, students gather in the study of a four-person suite in Congreve Hall, just two years after the building opened. Below, a group of friends—Hanna LaRochelle '15, Jordain Cedrone '15, Alexis Valeri '15, Nicole McKay '15 and Hannah Pender '15—relaxes in a Congreve triple.
THROUGH THE YEARS: Congreve Hall, shown here in 1925 and 2012, was built in 1920. It was expanded twice (in 1938 and 1940) and completely renovated in 2003.
BUMPER CROP: Above, parked cars line Main Street during the annual week of agricultural demonstrations known as Farmers' Week, in August 1925. (A horse and buggy can be seen in the distance.) Below, a view of the same location today. In 2008, Main Street was redesigned with new bike lanes, bus pullouts, a granite cobblestone median and green "bumpouts" to enhance safety.
FAINT RESEMBLANCE: In this 1919 photo taken from the T-Hall bell tower, only New Hampshire Hall, far left, and Smith Hall, to the right of the flagpole, also appear in today's view, below. The one-story Faculty Club, left, and Ballard Hall (far right), where Stoke now stands, have been torn down. To the left of the flagpole stands the home economics "Practice House," which was later moved and renamed Craft Cottage. In 2012 (below), trees obscure some of the buildings. From left: New Hampshire Hall, the Whittemore Center, Hamel Recreation Center (formerly Snively Arena), Congreve, Scott (behind flagpole), Smith, Sawyer and Stoke Halls.
DIFFERENT BALL GAME: Gone are the days when football players wore leather skullcaps, elm trees graced the streets of Durham and New Hampshire Hall was flanked by two towers. In 1917, football players line up on Memorial Field. Two years earlier, William "Butch" Cowell had become the head coach: 1917 would be the team's first winning season. Members of the 1917-18 varsity team were, back row from left, Raymond B. Shum '20, Norman R. Golding '21, Raymond C. Greer '20, Henry A. Emery '19. Front row from left, Thomas J. Craig '21, George H. Batchelder '21, Kingsley D. Church '21, Walter W. Wiggin '21, Henry F. Peterson '21, Isaac L. Williams '20, and Alan B. Hudson Jr. '21. In 2012, below, the field hockey team practices on AstroTurf in the same location.
ON DISPLAY: Freshmen men perform gymnastics during the newly instituted Freshman Week program in fall 1924. Below, the UNH Shotokan Karate Club gives a demonstration on the Great Lawn by T-Hall during University Day 2012 festivities.
BANNER DAY: A crowd of students awaits the return of President Ralph Hetzel from the Statehouse on April 23, 1923, the day when the New Hampshire State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts officially became the University of New Hampshire. Below, an Amtrak train arrives at the UNH train station on an early fall day in 2012. Train service from Portland to Boston was restored in 2001 after a hiatus of more than 35 years.
WHICH HALL? Nesmith Hall, built in 1893, underwent a metamorphosis when its tower was removed in 1932. In 1939, the building changed again when two new wings were added.
TOWERS BE GONE: Built in 1906 with two towers, New Hampshire Hall was originally a gymnasium and armory. The funding used to build it included $1,000 donated by the Boston and Maine Railroad in appreciation of emergency assistance from faculty and students after a train wreck on Jan. 20, 1905. In 1940, UNH professor and architect Eric Huddleston had the towers removed from the building, which in 2012, below, houses dance studios and the kinesiology department.
DIMOND IN THE ROUGH: Built in 1958, the library was named for Ezekiel Dimond, the university's first professor. The infamous striped carpets were installed in 1969 and removed in 1997. Architect Graham Gund said his 1997 renovation of the building (shown here in 2012) was meant to express "the joy of discovery, the excitement of intellectual work."
HOUSE OF COMMONS: The Kappa Sigma house was built on Main Street in 1917 on university land, where the trustees envisioned a row of fraternities designed to harmonize with nearby college buildings. After the fraternity lost its charter in the 1990s, the house was condemned by the fire department and razed. In 2003, the university completed Holloway Commons (below), a 70,000-square-foot dining and conference facility that adjoins the MUB.
FIELDWORK: In 1921, there were viewing stands along the side of Memorial Field, and New Hampshire Hall had two towers on the front, since removed. In the fall 2012 photo below, field hockey players practice on the AstroTurf field. At left is the Whittemore Center, a multipurpose arena that opened in 1995.
UPDATED: Kingsbury Hall, home to the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences, opened in 1950. Renovated and expanded in 2007, the building (shown below in 2012) boasts state-of-the-art labs, high bays, classrooms, project spaces and gathering places.
ONCE A LIBRARY: In 1907, the library moved from T-Hall into a new building named for benefactor Hamilton Smith (1840-1900). Two wings were added in 1938, and in1965 the building was extended in the back. The books moved again when Dimond Library opened in 1958. Today Ham Smith houses the English and philosophy departments. A number of Works Progress Administration murals were painted in the building during the 1930s--one has been preserved, in Room 141.
HIGH RISE: Just a year after Stillings Dining Hall was built, in 1963, Stoke Hall became—and remains—the largest dormitory on campus, with 650 residents. Stoke (right, in 2012 photo below) was named after UNH President Harold Stoke, whose administration is credited with rapidly constructing buildings to house returning students after World War II.
IT'S PHYSICS: DeMeritt Hall, which houses the physics department today, was built in 1914. When the building was demolished and rebuilt in 2008, 98 percent of the demolition debris was recycled. Its many energy-saving features include window fins designed to optimize solar gain and energy wheels that recapture energy from ventilation systems.
FACELIFT: Pettee Hall was built in 1938 and named after Charles Holmes Pettee, who served the college selflessly for 62 years as professor and dean, until the time of his death. A major renovation in 1999 transformed the facade, adding a dual-level portico with large windows and a terrace. Today (shown below in 2012), it houses the departments of family studies and social work.
LAND-GRANT NAMESAKE: Morrill Hall was dedicated in 1903 as an agriculture building and named after U.S. Senator Justin Smith Morrill, who was the visionary behind the Land Grant Act, which offered states the opportunity to create land-grant colleges. Today (shown below in 2012), it houses the education department.
ONE-PUMP TOWN: Two views of Durham's Main Street, looking west toward campus, in 1928 (top) and 2012. The town instituted a one-way traffic loop in the 1970s and is now considering reverting to a two-way traffic pattern.
OLD AND NEW: Grant's Café, shown in 1926 in top photo, became Young's Restaurant in 1968. Today it is owned by Ken Young '80. The College Inn (top), built in 1806, was a boarding house. In the 1950s, it was replaced by two buildings; one (below, 2012) houses a laundromat and tiny but busy Franz's Food.
THE CHANGING FACE OF DURHAM: Houghton Hardware closed its doors for the last time in 2008. Dick Houghton '62 had purchased the business in 1978 from David DeMoulpied '34. Its replacement, below in 2012, is one of several new buildings in Durham that combine apartments with retail space. Durham has seen a boom in new private student-housing developments; five major complexes, the largest with more than 600 beds, were built between 2008 and 2012.
Go back to beginning of slideshow