Diversity - LGBTQ Career Resources
In or Out in the Workplace?
It’s important to think about your comfort level with being “out,” and how “out” you want to be in the workplace. Remember once you are “out” somewhere, you are “out” and it is very difficult to “go back in.”
There are many strategies to gather information to help you with this decision. Many businesses are “LGBTQ-friendly” and offer partner benefits. Assess particular businesses by checking the resources listed below, and consider the following:
• Determine if the business offers partner benefits.
• Do they have a diversity statement that includes sexual orientation and gender identity/expression?
• Identify and speak with UNH alumni who are “out” in the workplace.
• Research the business and its clients.
• Ask interviewers about the office climate.
• Ask for names of GLBT employees with whom you might speak.
For additional information, read Coming Out at Work which offers additional information on coming out in the workplace.
You may also wish to modify your resume based on your research. You can schedule an appointment with the University Advising and Career Center (UACC), which provides assistance to students and alumni at each step of the job search process.
Career Research and Networking
Job Search Databases
- Academic Advising
- "How To" Instructions
- Explore UNH Majors and Courses
- Add/Drop a Course
- Prepare for Your Appointment
- Campus Resources
- GPA Calculator
- Student 4 Year Planner
- Potential Careers for Your Major
- Important Meetings/Deadlines
- Professional/Grad School Advising
- Planning Timetable
- Researching Graduate Schools
- Applying to Graduate School Workshop
- Graduate & Professional School Fair
- Testing Info and Support
- Pre-Professional Health Programs Advising
- PreLaw Advising
- UNH Graduate School
- Careers & Jobs
- Alumni Resources
- Career Assessments
- Career Guide & Resources
- Career & Internship Fair
- Career Events
- Resume Writing Resources
- Schedule a Career Advising Appointment
- Daily Walk In Workshops
- Employers By Major
- Student Hourly & Work Study Positions
- Wildcat Careers
- Posting Jobs and Internships
- On Campus Recruiting
- Career & Internship Fairs
- Corporate Sponsorship
- Career & Job Resources
- Internship Resources
- Become a Work Study Site
- Host a Job Shadow
- Careers & Disabilities
- Career Resources for International Students
- Career Resources for Service Members & Veterans
- Career Resources for Women
- Diversity Career Resources
- Diversity Network Program
- LGBTQ Career Resources