Declaring a Major in Sociology
Karin Hakala, a Sociology and Spanish major, worked with Professor Sharyn Potter on research into how learning English affects family dynamics among Hispanic immigrants. Karin won an undergraduate research award to help with research expenses.
Students entering the University as first-year or transfer students may declare a major in sociology as part of the Admissions process. These students must enroll in sociology 400 during their first semester and earn a grade of C to maintain status in the program.
If you are a continuing student interested in declaring sociology, you must have completed at least one introductory level sociology course with a grade of C or better. Once you meet the criterion, please complete the change of program process outlined below.
The change of program process
If you are currently in a major or undeclared within the College of Liberal Arts…
- Sign in to MyUNHblackboard
- Select Webcat/Services and continue to Webcat
- Select Student Services & Financial Aid
- Select Student Records
- Select Change Major/Option and follow prompts
If you are currently in a major NOT within the College of Liberal Arts…
- Obtain a paper yellow change of program form from the Registrar's Office or download one here.
- Meet with your advisor, and obtain signature and your student academic file.
- Go to your current Dean’s Office, obtain signature.
- Bring your signed form and file to our office where we will instruct you on next steps.