Keep the social in social media.
Encourage a sense of community by interacting with your audience and engage with them through your social networks. Create a conversation by inviting comments and asking interesting questions, posting unique photos, and delivering quality stories.
Follow these guidelines:
- Share useful information and links.
- Follow back, especially your fans and interesting people within your field or relevancy.
- Blog often. The more original content you create, the more often your readers will interact.
- Participate in networking events both online and offline. Appearing offline can help you connect with people and prove you’re not a robot, but someone that connects with his or her audience.
- Don’t judge or condemn others. Be respectful, accepting feedback and criticism with respect.
- Interact with your audience. Create a conversation. Ask questions. Be engaging!
- Don’t let personal opinions get in the way. Be professional and let your fans comment or help steer the conversation.
- Share photos, videos, and links to relevant stories in the news, along with your original content. It makes your department appear more rounded and can help build a larger audience.
- When tweeting, use a #hashtag about your topic and when appropriate, incorporate the @twitterhandle of the person you’re tweeting about. This will help provide better search results and alert fellow tweeps that you’ve mentioned, perhaps causing a re-tweet and amplifying your message.
Questions? Email Jason