Impact Your Community…For Course Credit!
Become a SHARPP Peer Advocate
Fall 2013 Advocate Training class will take place on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:40-11:00am
Are you interested in becoming a SHARPP Peer Advocate? SHARPP will be offering course credit for the Peer Advocate training (Psychology 595 and WS 797). It will be a four credit, pass/fail course. For additional information and/or to schedule an initial meeting, please contact Amy Culp by phone (603) 862-3494 (email@example.com)
Students who want to do the SHARPP Advocacy Training have 3 options:
Students can take the SHARPP Advocacy Training for credit, under the PSYC 595 Independent Study with Vicki (where they do some additional academic work). Click here to download PSYC 595 packet
Students can take the SHARPP Advocacy Training NOT for credit in the fall, but use those 40 hrs of training towards a WS 797 Internship that they register for in the spring. In the spring, students will complete their remaining internship hours by working within the Women’s Studies office (as an intern), attending the Women’s Studies Internship Seminar and continuing to be an advocate for SHARPP (this will fulfill the rest of their needed 150 hrs). Click here to download the WS 797 packet
They can do the SHARPP Advocacy Training Not for credit. Click here to download the Non-Credit packet
Title of Job:
SHARPP Peer Advocate
The mission of a SHARPP peer advocate is to provide advocacy and crisis intervention for survivors of recent, past or attempted sexual assault, child sexual assault, incest, intimate partner violence, stalking, sexual harassment and their allies. Additionally, advocates will work to prevent and eliminate sexual/intimate partner violence in the UNH community.
- To be on-call a minimum of 3 shifts/semester
- To offer crisis intervention to survivors and allies
- To arrange appropriate referrals/transferrals
- To provide adequate follow-up to survivors and allies
- Attend/participate in 2 special events/programs per semester
- Complete advocacy training (Psych 595 for credit or non-credit)
- Complete on-going/in-service training
- Make a minimum of full academic year commitment
- Attend volunteer staff meetings
- Must be a registered UNH student, faculty or staff member
- Must be committed to SHARPP mission & philosophy
SHARPP is located on the UNH campus and housed at 2 Pettee Brook Lane in Wolff House.
Advocates are directly responsible to the SHARPP Direct Services Coordinator.
- Valuable work experience
- Job recommendations
- Provides extensive skill development
- Valuable contacts with the community and campus
- About Us
- Getting Help
- Requesting a Program
- Incoming Students & Families
- Helping a Friend
- Info on...