Honors in the Psychology Major
Honors student Kristen Butterfield won a UNH research fellowship which enabled her to pursue research on hearing persons' perceptions of deaf persons in the areas of mental capacity, social competence, and emotional well-being. Kristen's faculty mentor was Prof. Rebecca Warner.
The minimum requirements for honors work in Psychology is:
1. An overall grade point average of 3.2 with a minimum grade point average in Psychology of 3.4 at the end of the sophomore year. (3.2 Psyc GPA for students admitted to UNH prior to fall 2002.)
2. Passing Psychology 401, Psychology 402, and Psychology 502 with a grade of B or better.
3. Submitting an application to the chairperson of the Psychology Honors Program.
To be awarded "Honors in Psychology" each student must complete 20 credit hours of honors courses (including 8 credits of Senior Honors Thesis) within the Department. In addition, each student must attain an overall GPA of 3.2 and a Psychology GPA of 3.4 (3.2 for students admitted to UNH prior to Fall 2002). The student must earn at least a B on the Senior Honors Thesis, and a B- in each honors seminar.
In order to fulfill these requirements, the student may choose from the following options in consultation with his or her adviser:
1. Students must choose three courses from the following options:
- Honors sections of 700-level courses (any 700-level course, other than 793, 795 may be designated as "Honors") with permission of the instructor.
- Any graduate seminar with the permission of the instructor, the department, and the Graduate School (seniors only).
2. Each student must complete Psychology 797, the Senior Honors Tutorial, and Psychology 799, Senior Honors Thesis. The Senior Honors Thesis will culminate in a public presentation called The Haslerud Undergraduate Research Conference.
You do not have to be enrolled in the University Honors Program (a 32-credit program) to undertake the honors-in-major program (a 20-credit program). All University Honors Program participants must, however, complete the 20 credit honors-in-major program as part of their overall University Honors requirements. You must complete an application for the Psychology Honors in Major program even if you are already enrolled in the University Honors Program.
Students enrolled in the honors in major program must still complete all psychology major requirements.