2011 Healthy UNH Annual Report
October 2011 marked the completion of the second program year for the Healthy UNH initiative aimed at making UNH the healthiest campus community in the country by 2020. The initiative has partnered with USNH, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, and many UNH departments to help improve the health of the university faculty, staff and students and decrease the cost of employee health care.
According to the 2011 Healthy UNH annual report, the second program year “continued to build on the solid foundation of capacities, awareness, and measurement developed in the first programming year. These activities were centered on raising the awareness of the Healthy UNH effort, its goals, its principles, and its values.”
Healthy UNH has been cited as a model for corporate wellness in the Partnership for Prevention’s “Leading by Example: Creating Healthy Communities through Corporate Engagement,” a national publication produced in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Earlier this year, Healthy UNH and Dining Services teamed up to make healthy eating on campus easier than ever with a new interactive map that provides nutritional information on food offered in the dining halls. The map also shows what healthy options are available in Dining’s retail stores.
Healthy UNH’s website on health care spending (http://unh.edu/healthyunh/health-care-spending) offers advice on how to choose where to go and when to get services.
The annual report outlines ongoing goals; they include:
- More fully leveraging social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, Blackboard, and blogs) to improve awareness and participation levels in programs;
- Developing and publishing tools to assist the campus community in making more effective health care choices;
- Expanding on the initial Brown Bag presentations with the second presentation in the series, campus-wide;
- Continuing campus visibility through health and wellness promotions and interactive displays;
- Assisting in the on-going communications and organization of the on-site employee clinic.
The full report can be read here: http://www.unh.edu/news/docs/2012/HealthyUNHAnnualReport.pdf.