George E. “Curly” Frick died March 28, 2012 surrounded by family and friends. He was 91.
Frick was an adjunct professor with the department of resource economics and a researcher with the U.S. Department of Agriculture. He taught at UNH from 1957 to 1992 and was instrumental in launching the Institute of Natural and Environmental Resources (INER).
As an economist with the USDA Economic Research Service, he conducted research on farm management topics including dairy farm size, mechanization, cost reduction, and general farming in New England.
Frick published many articles and reports on topics ranging from dairy economics to recreational use of Pawtuckaway State Park to equitable property taxation in New Hampshire. In recognition to his many professional contributions, the UNH Foundation created an Endowed Fellowship for Resource Economics in his name. This particular recognition carries on his legacy “to preserve and renew natural resources for industry, agriculture, and recreational use while inspiring and mentoring students.”
Known to many as an accomplished woodworker and furniture builder, at the age of 89, Frick repaired all of the chairs and the prayer bench from the Hamilton Smith Chapel.
He received his B.S. degree in 1943 from the University of Connecticut, and following his war service, returned to complete an M.S. in 1947 in agricultural economics. During World War II, Frick was a PT boat commander with RON 24, and served with honor and distinction in the Pacific from 1943 –1946, primarily in the Philippines and New Guinea. He was mustered out of the Naval Reserves in 1955.
A special celebration of Frick’s life will be held at a later date to be announced.
The family requests that those desiring to make a memorial gift may send contributions to the “George ‘Curly’ Frick Endowed Fellowship for Resource Economics”, check made payable to the UNH Foundation, Inc., Elliott Alumni Center, 9 Edgewood Road or to the “Hamilton Smith Chapel Fund”, checks made payable to the Trustees of the Trust Funds, Town of Durham, 15 Newmarket Road.
Read a full obituary.