Search for New CHHS Dean Announced; Committee to be Formed
Provost John Aber has announced an internal search for an interim dean for the College of Health and Human Services. The appointment will be for two years. Associate Dean Neil Vroman will serve as interim dean during the search.
After meeting with the CHHS Executive Committee, Aber notified faculty and staff of the impending search and outlined the process, as noted below.
- Each department and the institutes associated with the college will nominate one member to sit on the internal search committee.
- The provost will select committee members from those nominated. The search team will work intensively during a relatively short period of time--one to two months at the most to identify candidates.
- The search team will include staff representation.
- Departments and institutes may also nominate candidates for the dean position. Self-nominations are welcomed as well (nominations are not limited to those in the nominating unit).
- All nominations and questions should be sent to Helen Brewster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The search team will fulfill the usual search process including drafting a position statement, soliciting applications, reviewing candidates, identifying a short list of candidates for interviews, sponsoring college-wide meetings with a small set of finalists, and recommending two to three unranked candidates to the provost.
- The process will follow all standard university policies regarding inclusive excellence, affirmative action and equal opportunity.
This process is identical to one followed last spring in COLSA, and which proved to be a positive experience in community-building as well as leadership selection, Aber noted.
The goal, Aber said, is to find the best person already on campus to provide leadership for the college for the next two years.