Engaged Scholars Academy 2010
By Jody Record, Campus Journal Editor
February 10, 2010
Back row (left to right) Becky Sideman, Stephen Hale, Cathy Neal, David Lane, Kelly Kilcrease, Matthew Tarr, Dev Dutta, Siobhan Senier, Bill Ross, Meghan Howey, Michael Palace, Joel Hartter, Joanne Burke.
Front row (left to right) Ginger Lever, Justus Ogembo, Raymond Goodman, Joan Hahn
Photo: Perry Smith
Seventeen faculty members have been inducted into the semester-long Engaged Scholars Academy, the largest class since the professional development program began in 2005.
The academy provides faculty with opportunities to learn best practices in “engaged scholarship” through workshops, projects with partners, coaching, and by interacting with federal and foundation officers.
Tenure-track, research, and extension faculty who exhibit promise are nominated to the Engaged Scholarship Academy by their dean or director or an academy graduate. The program is a collaborative effort and is supported by the Office of the Senior Vice Provost for Engagement and Academic Outreach.
With 72 alumni, the program has exceeded initial expectations, says Cameron Wake, senior faculty fellow and faculty director of the Engaged Scholars Academy.
“We thought this would run two or three years and now we’re in our sixth year,” Wake says. “It has surpassed our expectations not only in the length of time it’s existed but in the number of participating faculty and topics covered. And the Academy has helped to create a learning community on campus, which is a wonderful opportunity for people to develop new collaborations.”
The Engaged Scholars Academy curriculum developed by UNH has become a model and a resource for other universities around the country.
This year’s scholars are:
- Joanne Burke, clinical assistant professor, molecular, cellular and biomedical sciences, College of Life Sciences and Agriculture
- Devkamal (Dev) Dutta, assistant professor, management, Whittemore School of Business
- Raymond Goodman, professor, hospitality management, Whittemore School of Business
- Joan Hahn, associate professor, nursing, College of Health and Human Services
- Stephen Hale, research associate, Leitzel Center
- Joel Hartter, assistant professor, geography, affiliate assistant professor, natural resources, College of Liberal Arts
- Meghan Howey, assistant professor, anthropology, College of Liberal Arts
- Kelly Kilcrease, assistant professor, social sciences, UNHM
- David Lane, associate professor, biosciences branch librarian, Library Administration
- Ginger Lever, director of marketing and public relations, UNHM
- Cathy Neal, extension professor, plant biology, Cooperative Extension
- Justus Ogembo, associate professor, education, College of Liberal Arts
- Michael Palace, research assistant professor, Complex Systems Research Center
- Bill Ross, professor, special collections librarian, university libraries
- Siobhan Senier, associate professor, English, College of Liberal Arts
- Becky Sideman, extension associate professor, plant biology, Cooperative Extension
- Matthew Tarr, extension associate professor, forestry and wildlife, Cooperative Extension
We welcome your story ideas, letters, photos,
notable events, achievements, obituaries and/or memorium.
If you would like to submit an item, please contact the Editor at 862-1567.
Deadline for submissions is Tuesdays at 4 pm.