Rainbow of Colors Dietetic Internship Luncheon
By Jody Record, Campus Journal Editor
August 4, 2010
“Eating a Rainbow of Foods” was the tasty and innovative theme for the fifth annual local UNH dietetic internship summer luncheon held July 29 at the Alumni Center. Each summer, the graduate dietetic interns create a lunch extravaganza that focuses on sustainability principles and local food availability.
In a nod to the university’s commitment to become the healthiest campus in the country by 2020, the interns demonstrated that healthy eating can be delicious while serving a crowd. The 10 new interns cooked up a meal of local, healthy foods faculty, staff and friends.
The great team work and expert cooking skills were evident in the final products. The only challenge for the more than 35 attendees was choosing which selection to eat first. Offerings included, among other dishes, fresh bruschetta, tomato and watermelon salad, vegetable “crab” cakes, peach cobbler and blueberry tarts.
- “What a fun luncheon--and too delicious--Thank you. You are off to a fabulous year of interning. I love the local food. Interesting combinations. Never though tomatoes and watermelon could go together. Everything was delicious,” one guest said.
- “Fun and informative. Loved the local ingredients. Loved the veggies cakes. Thank you for the wonderful lunch and for focusing on local and sustainable food. You worked very hard to put on a healthy, informative, and fun luncheon that brought people together. The presentation was fantastic,” another diner commented.
Judging from the number of people who returned for seconds and thirds, and by the request for recipes, the event was judged a success. The interns appreciated the donations from UHS Dining Operations and donations of homegrown foods from staff and local vendors as well as the welcoming staff at the Alumni Center.
A recipe for the bruschetta follows. Serves about 24.
6 or 7 ripe plum tomatoes (about 1 ½ pounds)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 French baguette
¼ cup olive oil
- Dice the tomatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F.
- Put tomatoes, garlic, 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, and vinegar in a bowl and mix together.
- Add chopped basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the baguette into diagonal slices about ½ inch thick.
- Coat one side of each slice with olive oil using a pastry brush.
- Place on a cooking sheet, olive oil side down. Toast on the top rack.
- Toast for 5-6 minutes, until the bread just begins to turn golden brown.