Lorus and Margery Milne Stone Dedicated
October 14, 2009
A remembrance stone was dedicated Saturday, Oct. 10, honoring Durham residents Margery and Lorus Milne, UNH professors and authors of more than 50 books on natural history. The couple was also known as the official keepers of the swans who frequent the mill pond.
Margery Milne was 94 when she died in February 2006. Her husband died in 1987. In her will, Milne left the town of Durham a parcel of land on Mill Pond Road, adjacent to Mill Pond Park. She asked that a large granite stone be placed there in memory of the couple.
The stone is inscribed with a verse written by Margery Milne. A wildflower garden designed by the Durham Garden Club will be planted around the rock. Club members donated an inscribed granite bench that will be placed near the stone so people can sit and enjoy the area.
The Milnes came to UNH in 1948 to work in the zoology department, Milne as an associate professor and Margery Milne, an assistant professor. She was forced to resign her tenure track position in 1950 because married couples were no longer allowed to both be on the faculty.
Together the naturalist-biologists produced 60 films about the natural world, some of which were broadcast on television in the 1950s, and co-wrote the original review of Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring" for the New York Times.
Margery Milne taught in the Division of Continuing Education and the College of LifeLong Learning, which later became Granite College, until 1994. Milne and her husband also had been research or teaching fellows at Woods Hole Marine Labs and the Scripps Institute of Oceanography.