James Hall Closed for Renovation
By Jody Record, Campus Journal Editor
September 3, 2008
Work has begun on James Hall which will undergo complete restoration during the next year as well as the construction of a new 14,000-square-foot addition that will increase the square footage of the building from about 60,000 to about 75,000.
The $25.5 million project is the first at UNH to seek LEED certification.
LEED is a green designation that stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, and sets the standards for construction sustainability. This whole-building approach includes designs and renovations that promote energy efficiency, emissions reductions and water conservation. The certification confirms that the project meets the highest green building and performance measures.
- Lower operating costs and increased asset value.
- Reduce waste sent to landfills.
- Conserve energy and water.
- Are healthier and safer for occupants.
- Reduce harmful greenhouse gas emissions.
- Qualify for tax rebates, zoning allowances and other incentives.
- Demonstrate commitment to environmental stewardship and social responsibility.
Home to the departments of natural resources and earth sciences, the College Road building was named for chemist Charles James who set up a laboratory in his family home when he was 15 years old.
Born in England, James attended the Institute of Chemistry at University College in London and then came to the United States in 1906. That same year, he went to work at the National Refining Company in Westchester, New York, and in February, was called to the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts by Charles Parsons to become assistant professor of chemistry.
James went on to become head of the chemistry department, a position he held until his death from stomach cancer at the age of 48 in 1928.
The Charles James Hall was dedicated in 1929.