2008 Faculty Excellence Honorees
By Jody Record, Campus Journal Editor
November 19, 2008
Nineteen faculty members have been honored for excellence in teaching, research and public service. Nominated by their colleagues and students, winners of the annual Excellence Awards represent every school and college within the university.
“The celebration of faculty excellence at UNH is always a highlight of the year. We are reminded of the great dedication on the part of our faculty to the processes of teaching and learning, to rigorous and innovative scholarship, and to public engagement that serves our state and nation,” says Bruce Mallory, provost and executive vice president for academic affairs. “All of us are winners when we stop to honor the finest among us.”
This year’s winners of universitywide awards are:
- Distinguished Professor, Dennis Chasteen, professor of chemistry;
- Outstanding Associate Professor, Michael Goldberg, associate professor of economics;
- Outstanding Assistant Professor, Reagan Baughman, assistant professor of economics;
- Excellence in Research, John Mayer, professor of psychology;
- Excellence in Public Service, Nancy Kinner, professor of civil engineering;
- Alumni Association Award for Excellence in Public Service, Karen Graham, professor of mathematics;
- Excellence in International Engagement, Cathy Frierson, professor of history;
- Graduate Faculty Mentor, Edward O’Brien, professor of psychology;
- Excellence through Diversity, Monica Chiu, associate professor of English;
- The Jean Brierley Award for Excellence in Teaching, Peter Fernald, professor of psychology;
The following individuals received awards of excellence in college teaching:
- College of Engineering and Physical Sciences, R. Daniel Bergeron, professor of computer science;
- College of Liberal Arts, Jill McGaughy, assistant professor of psychology;
- College of Liberal Arts, Alynna Lyon, assistant professor of political science;
- College of Liberal Arts, Mary Rhiel, associate professor of German;
- School of Health and Human Services, Barbara Prudhomme White, associate professor of occupational therapy;
- College of Life Sciences and Agriculture, William Mautz, professor of natural resources;
- Thompson School of Applied Science, Timothy Barretto, associate professor of community leadership;
- Whittemore School of Business and Economics, Emily Xu, assistant professor of accounting;
- UNH Manchester, Stephen Pugh, associate professor of biology.
We welcome your story ideas, letters, photos,
notable events, achievements, obituaries and/or memorium.
If you would like to submit an item, please contact the Editor at 862-1567.
Deadline for submissions is Tuesdays at 4 pm.