Word on the Street: New Names, New Roads
September 12, 2007
Numerous changes to the UNH street network took effect this summer and will be fully implemented with new signage during the next few weeks. These changes were approved in the recently adopted Campus Street naming plan and are part of a phase-in of revised street names and patterns to accommodate current campus changes, future campus growth and improved integration with E-911.
An official campus street map (July 2007) reflecting these changes is available for download at www.unh.edu/ecd/images/unhcampusmap_7-07.pdf. If you would like an editable version of this map for departmental purposes, please contact Stephen Hunter with Facilities Design and Construction at 2-0761.
For additional visitor information and the official UNH parking map (July 2007), go to the Transportation Services website at www.unh.edu/transportation/visitor/index.htm.
- Arts Way (new road between Parsons and Kingsbury) is one-way northbound. Bicycles share the vehicle travel lane and have the right-of-way. A designated pedestrian-only lane runs along the east side of the road. Both sides of this street are designated fire lane/no parking and will be strictly enforced as such.
- College Road (between Mitchell Way and Arts Way) is now one-way (eastbound) for vehicles. Existing parking meters remain (two meters added). Ramones is relocated out of meter parking zone.
- College Road (between Arts Way and Morse Circle) remains two-way but vehicular traffic is restricted to service vehicles, loading zone access and ADA parking access.
- Nesmith driveway has been relocated to College Road. Left turns out of the driveway are prohibited.
- Colovos Road (between the old railroad underpass and College Road) is now an extension of Library Way and has no vehicular outlet. All parking in this corridor is now ADA or reserved space only (no faculty/staff parking available).
- The South Underpass is complete. The road running from College Road adjacent to the Southeast Residential Community (SERC) and through the underpass is South Drive - which terminates at Waterworks Road.
- Loop Road (from Main Street to Gables Way) is renamed North Drive.
- McDaniel Drive ends at the junction of South Drive and College Road.
- Service Road running between College Road and Library Way between the rail line and Combined Heat and Power Plant is now one way northbound.
Major Transportation Project Update:
- The Durham-UNH Rail Station renovation project has started. Initial work will be on Depot Street and the paved areas adjacent to the station (excluding the building itself). Vehicular access to the Whittemore Center and Town of Durham municipal lot will remain open; however, users should expect delays, detours, dust and noise during six to eight weeks of construction.
Rail platform access will be maintained for train passengers but there will be no vehicular drop-off/pick-up at the platform site. Dairy Bar restaurant access will be maintained for walk-in patrons. Expect lot closure (meters, ADA parking spaces and reserved spaces) during the construction period. Train patrons should plan a few extra minutes to access the platform. For updates go to: www.unh.edu/ecd/design_rail.html.