UNH Campus Journal
UNH  |  Calendar  |  Storm/Emergency
Home | Archive | Subscribe/Unsubscribe Contact

End of Fiscal Year Reminders From HR

May 9, 2007

Additional pay processing for faculty and staff:

As the summer is fast approaching, a reminder of the procedure in place for requesting additional compensation for faculty and staff:

Prior to the employee performing services, it is necessary for the hiring department to complete the appropriate request and receive departmental and Human Resources approval prior to the beginning of work. If the request is made after work begins, written justification should be included. HR approval of additional pay requests is required before Business Service Centers may process additional payments.

· Request for Additional Pay for Administrative Stipend or Specialized Services

· Request for Approval of Faculty Supplemental Effort and Pay

These forms can be found at the following link: www.unh.edu/hr/pubs-frm.htm#supp

The Additional Pay Policy as well as Additional Pay Procedure can be found at the following link: www.unh.edu/hr/cmp.htm.

Payment of salaried employees who are involuntarily terminating:

If an exempt (PAT, EE, Faculty) employee is given a written notice of termination of his/her position, the date of termination shall be at the end of the pay period.

By law, as stated in Chapter 275, Protective Legislation, Section 275:43-b, Payment of Salaried Employees: a Salaried employee shall receive full salary for any pay period in which such employee performs any work without regard to the number of days or hours worked.

This includes budgeted positions, grant funded positions, term positions, etc.

Operating Staff may be terminated before the end of a pay period, since they are paid by the hour.

Deferred Pay (Spread Pay):

Academic Year Faculty and part-time exempt status employees (PAT, EE, AA) whose work period is other than 7/1 to 6/30, may choose to have a portion of their wages held to be paid out during the non-work period following their appointment year. This selection (or change to an existing selection) MUST occur at least two weeks before the employee’s pay year begins. Late requests cannot be processed.

Faculty wishing to make an election or change their current selection must complete the USNH Defer Pay Selection/Change Form and return it to Human Resources no later then noon on 8/1/07. The form can be found at the following link: www.finadmin.unh.edu/controller/pr_forms.html, or forms may be requested from Human Resources by phoning 862-0501. Questions may be directed to Joyce Cleary at 862-0513.

Minimum usage:

Earned Time and annual leave minimum usage requirements must be met by June 30, 2007. Otherwise, required unused time may not carry forward into July, 2007. Information on Earned Time and leave programs for exempt staff are available on the HR web site at: www.unh.edu/hr.

www.unh.edu/hr/et-acc.htm for Operating Staff employees in the Earned Time program

www.unh.edu/hr/al.htm for Exempt employees (PAT, EE, AA, PA) and fiscal year Faculty

www.unh.edu/hr/ostl.htm for Operating Staff with Traditional Leave

Sick Pool Conversion:

May is sick pool conversion month for employees on Earned Time. Sick Pool conversion forms are to be submitted to Human Resources by May 31st. Sick pool information and forms are available on the Human Resources web site at: www.unh.edu/hr or forms may be requested from Human Resources by phoning 862-0501.

The Sick Leave Pool is intended to provide additional security by allowing staff members the opportunity to exchange Earned Time Hours for Sick Pool Hours at the equivalent rate of three Sick Pool Hours for each hour of Earned Time. For employee’s own illness, usage of Sick Pool Hours commences with the sixth consecutive day of absence from work due to illness or injury. A Certification of Physician form must accompany the request to use Sick Pool Time. Sick Pool may also be used for Family Leave and Extended Bereavement Leave (see Family Leave and Extended Bereavement Leave below).



Family leave and extended bereavement leave:

The employee leave programs have been expanded to provide Family Leave paid time off, through the use of sick leave/sick pool, to care for family members or to be used as extended bereavement leave. Further information can be found at the following links:

Family Leave FAQs – http://www.unh.edu/hr/pdfs/family-leave-faqs.pdf

Family Leave-Operating Staff – http://www.unh.edu/hr/pdfs/family-leave-policy-os.pdf

Family Leave-Exempt Staff (PAT/EE/AA/FY Non-Tenure Track Faculty) – http://www.unh.edu/hr/pdfs/family-leave-policy-exempt.pdf

Medical Leave for Employee’s Immediate Family-Exempt Employees (includes Parental Leave) – http://www.unh.edu/hr/pdfs/medical-leave-familty-PAT.pdf

Medical Leave for Employee’s Immediate Family-Operating Staff (includes Parental Leave) – http://www.unh.edu/hr/pdfs/medical-leave-familty-OS.pdf

Compensatory time”

Compensatory time must be used or paid out prior to June 30, 2007.

Dependent medical/dental coverage:

The graduation of a dependent child could affect eligibility for dependent medical/dental coverage. Children who are full time students may be covered as dependents from age 19 until age 25. Dependents who no longer qualify for medical/dental coverage based on loss of full time student status upon graduation must be removed from coverage via the online benefits system. Employees must sign in to www.MyUSNHBenefits.net click on Initiate Life Event, Loss of Dependent Student Status and follow the procedure to end dependent’s coverage.

Dependent tuition benefit:

Children are considered dependent, if at the time of enrollment, they are unmarried, have not reached age 24, and otherwise meet the legal definition of “dependent” as defined by the Internal Revenue Service.

Summer session tuition benefit:

All Summer Session courses count toward the tuition benefit for the 2007-2008 fiscal year, regardless of when the course begins. Tuition waiver forms are available from Registrars Office, Business Services or by contacting Human Resources at 2-0501.

Youth employment:

Listed below are some quick and easy rules to keep in mind when hiring youth at UNH. Youth Employment Certificates are obtained from the youth’s school system. For the complete Chapter, visit the State of New Hampshire web site at: www.labor.state.nh.us/.

No one under the age of 14 may be hired under any circumstances
No one under the age of 16 may be hired without prior approval of Human Resources
Youths 14 and 15 years old must provide a youth employment certificate signed by the parent or legal guardian
Youths 16 and 17 years old must provide the “State of New Hampshire Proof of Permission for the Employment of a Youth age 16 or 17 Form” permitting employment

If there are questions on the above information, please call Human Resources at 2-0501.

email this page!

We welcome your story ideas, letters, photos, notable events, achievements, obituaries and/or memorium.

If you would like to submit an item, please contact the Editor at 862-1567.

Deadline for submissions is Tuesdays at 4 pm.

Print this article Print
Email this

UNH Home | UNH News | Manage Your Subscription | follow UNH News on Twitter!
Campus Journal is produced by
UNH Media Relations
8 Garrison Ave., Durham, NH 03824
University of New Hampshire