The M.E. Curriculum provides enough flexibility to make it relatively easy to minor in another discipline. Courses used to fulfill a minor may be substituted for two of the five required technical electives with departmental approval. However, if the minor is not completed then appropriate technical electives must be taken, even if the substitute courses have already been taken. Most minors consist of at least 20 credit hours with a C- or better in each course and a 2.00 grade-point average in courses that the minor department approves.

Many students choose to minor in business administration, economics, materials science, ocean engineering, oceanography, electrical engineering, math, and foreign languages. Other minors may require a summer in residence to take overload courses. Students should contact the specific department of the minor to get a list of the required minor courses.

Materials Science Minor

The Materials Science Minor is administered by the Materials Science Program and is open to all students of the University and offers a broad introduction to materials science. Students must complete at least 18 credits and a minimum of five courses as follows: ME 561, Introduction to Materials Science (required); ME 760, Physical Metallurgy I (required); ME 730, Mechanical Behavior of Materials (required); additional courses from the following: ME 731 - Fracture and Fatigue of Engineering Materials; 744, Corrosion; 761, Diffraction and Imaging Methods in Materials Science; 762, Electronic Materials Science; 763, Thin Film Science and Technology; and 795, Special Topics in Materials Science.

By mid-semester of their junior year, interested students should consult the minor supervisor, Glen Miller, Materials Science Department.

Ocean Engineering Minor

Students wishing to take the ocean engineering minor should indicate their interest to the ocean engineering minor advisor, Kenneth C. Baldwin, Department of Mechanical Engineering, no later than the beginning of the junior year.

For more information please see their website.

Completion of Minor

All students completing a minor must submit a completion of minor form to the CEPS Dean's office during their final semester to ensure that the minor is shown on their transcript. These forms are available in the ME office.