Martin Wosnik, Assistant Professor
Martin Wosnik, Assistant Professor
Prof. Martin Wosnik joined the Mechanical Engineering faculty in the spring of 2008. Prior to the appointment at UNH, he was Senior Flow Engineer at Alden Research Laboratory in Massachusetts, a national flow engineering firm conducting a wide variety of hydraulic studies for electric power utilities, architect-engineering firms, equipment manufacturers, and governmental agencies. Before that, he worked as Research Associate at St. Anthony Falls Laboratory at the University of Minnesota, and as Assistant Research Professor in the Thermo and Fluid Dynamics Section at Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden.
Prof. Wosnik's research interests are in the area of fluid and thermal science and engineering, and include experiment and theory of wall-bounded turbulent flows, cavitation and bubbly flows, high-speed hydrodynamics, flow measurement, hydraulic modeling and alternative energy applications.
Prof. Wosnik is teaching fluid mechanics and heat transfer courses, including ME 906 Convection Heat Transfer and ME 705 Thermal System Design
- Experimental Fluid Dynamics
- Wall-bounded Turbulent Flows
- Cavitation and Bubbly Flows
- Hydraulic Modeling
- Alternative Energy Applications
- Arndt REA; Kawakami DT; Wosnik M (2007) Hydraulics – Measurements in Cavitating Flows. Handbook of Experimental Fluid Dynamics, Tropea C and Foss J editors, Springer Verlag (Nov. 2007)
Journal papers, conference proceedings, reports
- Rowell M; King J; DeCew J; Werle M; Wosnik M (2013) Performance and wake measurements of a ducted marine hydrokinetic turbine at two open water tidal energy sites and in a tow tank. Submitted to MTS Journal, Special Issue on Marine Renewable Energy.
- Mujat M; Ferguson RD; Iftimia N; Daniel X. Hammer DX; Wosnik M; Nedyalkov I; Legner H (2013) Optical coherence tomography-based micro-particle imaging velocimetry. Submitted to Optics Letters
- Wosnik M; Arndt REA (2013) Measurements in high void-fraction turbulent bubbly wakes. Journal of Fluids Engineering. vol. 135, pp.011304-1 - 011304-9, January 2013.
- Nedyalkov I; Wosnik M (2012) A cavitation mitigation model for hydrokinetic turbines. Submitted to Physics in Fluids
- Bachant P; Wosnik M (2011) Energy conversion and exergy efficiency of cross-flow axis hydrokinetic turbines. Submitted to Renewable Energy.
- Wosnik M; Arndt REA (2011) On the Potential for Cavitation Erosion in Cataclysmic Floods. In preparation for submission to Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR) – Earth Surface.
- Wosnik M; Qin Q; Arndt REA (2010) Identification of large scale structures in the wake of a cavitating hydrofoil. Submitted to Experiments in Fluids – currently revising manuscript after referee comments.
- Li S; Wosnik M; Miller C; Kocahan H; Wyckhoff R; Cain S (2011) Numerical Modeling of Probable Maximum Flood Flowing through a System of Spillways. J. Hydraulic Engineering, Volume 137, Issue 1, pp. 66-74 (January 2011).
Refereed Conference Papers, Proceedings and Published Abstracts
- Dufresne N; Wosnik M (2013) Experimental investigation and similarity solution for the axisymmetric turbulent wake with rotation. Proceedings of ASME Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting 2013, Paper FED2013-0000, July 7-13, 2013, Incline Village, NV
- Nedyalkov I; Wosnik M (2013) Cavitation investigation of hydrofoils for marine hydrokinetic turbines. Proceedings of ASME Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting 2013, Paper FED2013-0000, July 7-13, 2013, Incline Village, NV
- Bachant; Wosnik M (2013) Performance and Wake Measurements for a Cross-Flow Axis Turbine at Moderate Reynolds Number. Proceedings of ASME Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting 2013, Paper FED2013-0000, July 7-13, 2013, Incline Village, NV
- Bachant P; Wosnik M (2012) Performance and wake measurements for a cross-flow axis lift-driven turbine. Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc., Vol.57, No.17, p.472.
- Nedyalkov I; Wosnik M (2012) Cavitation Characteristics of a NACA 63-424 Hydrofoil and Performance Comparison with a Bidirectional Version of the Foil. Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc., Vol.57, No.17, p.30.
- Dewhurst T; Rowell M; DeCew J; Baldwin K; Swift MR; Wosnik M (2012) Turbulent inflow and wake of a marine hydrokinetic turbine, including effects of wave motion. Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc., Vol.57. No.17, p.146.
- Dufresne N; Wosnik M (2012)Measurements in an axisymmetric turbulent wake with rotation downstream of a model wind turbine. Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc., Vol.57., No.17, p. 242.
- Vincenti P; Morrill-Winter C; Klewicki J; White C; Wosnik M (2012) Canonical boundary layer properties at high Reynolds number as measured in the UNH Flow Physics Facility. Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc., Vol.57, No.17, p.279.
- Nedyalkov I; Wosnik M (2011) Cavitation inception for marine hydrokinetic turbine blades. Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc., Vol.56.
- Bachant P; Wosnik M (2011) Experimental Investigation of Cross-Flow Axis Marine Hydrokinetic (MHK) Turbines, Including Effects of Waves and Turbulence. Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc., Vol.56.
- Wosnik M (2011) Similarity Theory for an Axisymmetric Turbulent Wake with Rotation. Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc., Vol.56.
- Bachant P; Wosnik M (2011) Experimental Investigation of Helical Cross-Flow Axis Turbines, Including Effects of waves and Turbulence. Proceedings of ASME-JSME-KSME Joint Fluids Engineering Conference 2011. Paper AJK2011-07020, July 24-29, 2011, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka, JAPAN
- Johnston A; Wosnik M (2011) Modeling of Performance Characteristics of Cross-Flow Axis Turbines. Proceedings of ASME-JSME-KSME Joint Fluids Engineering Conference 2011. Paper AJK2011-07021, July 24-29, 2011, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka, JAPAN
- Forsythe J; Klewicki J; White C; Wosnik M (2010) Status Update on the Flow Physics Facility at the University of New Hampshire. Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc., Vol.55, No.16, p.306
- Wosnik M; Swift MR; Baldwin KC; Despins R; Celikkol B (2010) Infrastructure Development towards a Calibrated Tidal Energy Test Site at the University of New Hampshire. Proceedings of First European Congress of the Int’l Association of Hydraulic Research (IAHR), Edinburgh, Scotland, May 4-6, 2010.
- Nedyalkov I; Wosnik M (2009) Redesign of contraction, test section and diffuser for a six-inch high speed water tunnel. Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc., Vol.54, No.15, p.1xx.
- Wosnik M, Despins R and Swift MR (2009) The Tidal Energy Test Site at UNH-CORE. In Proceedings of 1st Annual NE-MREC Technical Conference, New England Marine Renewable Energy Center (NE-MREC), Fall River, MA, 15 October 2009.
- Wosnik M; Arndt REA (2009) Control Experiments with a Semi-Axisymmetric Supercavity and a Supercavity-Piercing Fin. Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Cavitation, CAV2009 – Paper No. 146, August 17-22, 2009, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA.
- Wosnik M; Li S; Miller C; Wyckhoff R; Kocahan H; Gessler D; Cain S (2009) A hybrid numerical and physical hydraulic model study of the Canton Dam spillway system. 33rd IAHR Congress, Water Engineering for a Sustainable Environment, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, August 9-14, 2009
- Kocahan H; Wyckoff R; Wosnik M (2009) Canton Dam Fuse Gates. US Army Corps of Engineers Infrastructure Systems Conference, July 20-24, Cleveland , OH.
- Nedyalkov I; Clark G; Wosnik M (2008) Facility documentation measurements in ``new'' 7-inch high-speed water tunnel. Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc., Vol.53, No.15, p.127.
- Priyadarshana P; Klewicki J; White C; Wosnik M (2008) A Large Scale Wind Tunnel for the Study of High Reynolds Number Turbulent Boundary Layer Physics. Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc., Vol.53, No.15, p.134
- Kjeldsen M; Wosnik M; Arndt REA (2008) Dynamics and control of hydrofoil wakes. Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc., Vol.53, No.15, p.136.
- Wosnik M; Baldwin K; White C; Carter M; Gress D; Swift R; Tsukrov I; Kraft G; Celikkol B(2008) Ocean Renewable Energy Research at U. New Hampshire. Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc., Vol.53, No.15, p.254.
Adjunct Faculty & Post-Docs
- About Us
- Undergraduate Studies
- Becoming an M.E.
- Students' Voice Reflection
- Study Abroad
- Student Handbook
- Class Projects
- Undergraduate Program
- Graduate Studies
- Faculty & Staff
- Contact Us
- Visit Us