May-Win Thein, Associate Professor
May-Win Thein, Associate Professor
Prof. Thein joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering in 1999. Since then, she has served as a visiting scholar and/or lecturer at the Flight Dynamics Analysis Branch at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, the Department of Applied Mathematics at the University of Sheffield (Sheffield, UK), the Department of Engineering at the University of Leicester (Leicester, UK), and the Institute of Industrial and Control Engineering at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia (Barcelona, Spain). Prof. Thein was also named a United Kingdom Royal Society Fellow for her international collaborative research in spacecraft control. She holds memberships in AIAA, ASME (DSCD), IEEE (CSS IAC, WiC, WIE), Phi Eta Sigma, Pi Tau Sigma, SAE, Sigma Xi, SWE, and Tau Beta Pi.
Professor Thein's field of specialization is in the area of System Dynamics and Control. Her studies have emphasized nonlinear state estimation and control, multirate state and parameter estimation, and fault detection and isolation.
Prof. Thein is currently teaching:
- ME 670 - Systems Modeling, Simulation and Control
- ME 747 - Experimental Measurements and Modeling of Complex Systems
- ME 7/843 - Satellite Systems, Dynamics Modeling and Control
- ME 7/895 - Spacecraft Science and Applications
- ME/PHYS/EOS 7/8/95 - Spacecraft Instrumentation
- ME/ECE 944 – Nonlinear Control Systems
- ME/ECE 951 – Advanced Controls I
(Advanced Controls Lab)
- Spacecraft Attitude and Orbit Determination and Control
- Extra-Terrestrial Surface Navigation
- Hazardous Asteroid Mitigation
- Depth Control for Open Ocean Agriculture (Open Ocean Aquaculture Engineering)
- Autonomous Underwater Vehicles, Remotely Operated Vehicles (Open Ocean Aquaculture Engineering)
- Stability Analysis of General Nonlinear Systems
- Variable Structure Systems – Estimation and Control
- Fault Detection and Isolation/Mitigation
- Edwards, C. and Fridman, L. and Thein, M. L., "Fault Reconstruction in a Leader/Follower Spacecraft System Using Higher Order Sliding Mode Observer," AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics (under review).
- Thein, M. L., "A Variable Structure Parallel Observer System for Robust State Estimation of Multirate Systems," accepted for publication to the Transactions of the ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control.
- Pukdeboon, C. and Zinober, A. and Thein, M. L., "Quasi-Continuous Higher Order Sliding-Mode Controllers for Spacecraft-Attitude-Tracking Maneuvers," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 57, No. 4, April 2010.
- Waterhouse, D. and Dunstan, M. and Kramer, M. and Kite, J. and Jenkins, B. and Thein, M. L., "TableSat Generation II: a Limited 5-DOF Table Top Prototype for NASA's Magnetospheric MultiScale (MMS) Mission," accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the 2010 AIAA/AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, August 2010.
- Waterhouse, D. and Dunstan, M. and Kramer, M. and Kite, J. and Jenkins, B. and Thein, M. L., "TableSatII for NASA's Magnetospheric MultiScale (MMS) Mission - A Problem in Orbit and Attitude Determination and Control, " AAS 10 - 255,Proceedings of the 20th AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Meeting, San Diego, CA, February 2010.
- Mushaweh, N. and Jenkins, B. and Castelli, D. and Thein, M. L., "A Comparative Analsysis of Body-Rate Estimation Techniques for the NASA Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) Mission Spacecraft," AIAA-2009-5949, Proceedings of the 2009 AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Congress and Exposition, Chicago, IL, August 2009.
- Mushaweh, N. and Thein, M. L., "Comparative Observer-Based Nutation Control Techniques for NASA Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) Mission Spacecraft," AIAA-2008-7484, Proceedings of the 2008 AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Congress and Exposition, Honolulu, HI, August 2008.
- Thein, M. L., "Celestial Navigation (CelNav): Lunar Surface Navigation," AIAA-2008-6759, Proceedings of the 2008 AIAA/AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Congress and Exposition, Honolulu, HI, August 2008.
- Borrelli, M. J. and Thein, M. L., "Feedback Control During Orbital Transfers of a NASA MMS Spin-Stabilized Spacecraft," AIAA-2008-7084, Proceedings of the 2008 AIAA/AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Congress and Exposition, Honolulu, HI, August 2008.
- Farrar, M. S. and Thein, M. L., "Comparative Analysis of Control Techniques for Satellite Formation Flying Orbiting About the Earth-Sun L2 Point," AIAA-2008-7358, Proceedings of the 2008 AIAA/AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Congress and Exposition, Honolulu, HI, August 2008.
- Pukdeboon, C.; Zinober, A. S. I.; Thein, M. L., "Quasi-continuous higher-order sliding mode controller designs for spacecraft attitude tracking manoeuvres", Proceedings of the International Workshop on Variable Structures Systems (VSS 08), June 8-10, pp. 215 - 220, June 2008.
Adjunct Faculty & Post-Docs
- About Us
- Undergraduate Studies
- Becoming an M.E.
- Students' Voice Reflection
- Study Abroad
- Student Handbook
- Class Projects
- Undergraduate Program
- Graduate Studies
- Faculty & Staff
- Contact Us
- Visit Us