Function of Job:
Under direct supervision from a designated supervisor, the designation of the supervisor being dependent upon the organizational structure in the operating unit, to be responsible for serving patrons of a dining room during breakfast meal, and for serving patrons of a lounge during luncheon meal.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- If assigned to breakfast meal in dining room, duties will include:
- Setting up buffet table with chafing dishes, foods, condiments and utensils.
- Arranging and re-stocking service stands with needed supplies and equipment.
- Preparation and warming of some foods, such as muffins, toast and pastries, and pouring beverages.
- Taking patrons orders and placing dishes in accepted manner.
- Clearing and resetting tables with proper linens, tableware and condiments and bussing trays and dishes to kitchen.
- Being familiar with menu items and proper timing and service of each course.
- Performing host/hostess/supervisory function in his/her absence, as assigned, and answering incoming calls until arrival of receptionist.
- If assigned to luncheon sandwich/salad bar in lounge, duties will include:
- Setting up service stand in lounge with all needed equipment, flatware, glassware, beverages and condiments.
- Placing necessary condiments on tables, and moving and arranging chairs and tables as necessary.
- Taking orders for, mixing and serving various drinks to customers.
- Assuring that all soups, salads, sandwiches and quiche taken by patrons from salad bar are listed on checks.
- Taking orders for and serving desserts.
- Clearing and cleaning all tables, bussing dishes to kitchen, and distributing wares to proper areas.
- Filling in as sandwich maker in his/her absence, requiring knowledge of food preparation.
- Cater to specific requests and needs of patrons in accordance with established standards.
- Maintain cleanliness and sanitation of service and kitchen work areas, related wares and equipment.
- Compute and present checks to patrons.
- Operate cash register, collect money, provide change and process credit cards as required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- One year of experience performing similar duties in a restaurant.
- Ability to understand basic written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to deal with the public as required.
- Knowledge of correct methods of setting tables and of service procedures.
Effective Date: 10/18/82
This document is a generic classification specification of the University System of New Hampshire. Its purpose is to describe the representative responsibilities and general level of complexity, and it is not a substitute for the specific job description of the individual position.