Whether or not you know the person (or people) you will be rooming with, there are a few things you should probably know about each other before you move in. Although you will have plenty of time to learn their life story, there are a few logistical things you need to discuss.
Here are a few basics items that are helpful to talk about prior to Move In Day:
What are you bringing? For certain items, you might want to discuss sharing. These include:
- Extra furniture or storage units
Any significant health issues that you want your roommate to be aware of?
Are you generally neat or messy?
What are your sleeping habits?
- When do you go to bed?
- When do you wake up?
- Do you need complete silence and dark to sleep, or can you fall asleep with music or the TV on?
How do you like to study?
- Do you study on your own or do you work best in groups?
- Do you like to have music or the TV on in the background?
How do you feel about friends/boyfriends/girlfriends visiting?
- How long should they stay? (UNH Policy states that guests may stay for two nights with the roommate’s approval)
- Where will they sleep when they visit?
What is your stance on borrowing in between roommates?
- Are there certain items that everyone can use, while others should be off limits?
- Should you ask before borrowing every time?
What is your understanding of UNH’s drug and alcohol policy?
- UNH has firm policies regarding the underage use of alcohol or illegal drugs. If students are found responsible for breaking these policies, they may face eviction from University Housing. It is very important that you discuss your expectations in this area with your roommate(s).
If you’re having a hard time finding things to talk about, here are a few conversation starters:
- What is your home like?
- What is your hometown like?
- What is your family like (siblings, etc.)?
- Are you used to sharing a room?
- What do you like to do after school/classes?
- What clubs/organizations might you want to take part in at UNH?
- What are your (high school) friends like?
- What do you do together?
- Are any going to the same school/a school nearby?
- Do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend?
- What is your major going to be, or what were your favorite classes in high school?
- What have you been doing this summer?
- What jobs have you held?
- Have you gone on a family vacation?
- What is the best adventure/day you’ve had so far?
- Upcoming summer plans you’re looking forward to?
- What are your favorite things?
- TV shows and movies? (Maybe you share favorites and can watch together as roommates)
- Concerts you’ve been to or would like to go to?
- Sports or other fitness activities?