Reply to comment
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
May is National Bike Month, and what better way to celebrate the warm weather than enjoying a bike ride in the sun? Here at UNH, we are lucky to have a bike-friendly campus, which is demonstrated by the bike lanes that are provided on the roadways. In addition to the roads, College Woods is a large, popular outdoor spot on campus for biking, along with Kingman Farm which is located on Route 155 in Madbury. This farm contains 234 acres of woodland, and boasts an extensive trail system that is ideal for mountain biking, hiking, or running. Bicycling is an easy way to get daily physical activity, and over time, increases muscle tone, builds stamina, and improves cardiovascular fitness. The following are some reasons provided by the International Bicycle Fund as to why recreational bicycling and bicycle commuting are beneficial for everyone:
- Regular bicycling is therapeutic for the mind and spirit, as well as the cardiovascular system
- Bicycling can become a life-long activity for those who get involved with it, and it is a great activity to bond with family or friends
- Cycling is low impact on the body, as well as the environment
- Bicycling is a great way to get physical activity without spending money at the gym
- Bicycling is the most energy efficient form of transportation
- Bicycling is a great way to reduce stress
There are numerous advantages for those looking into bicycling. Along with getting physical activity, bicycling is a great way to reduce stress and enjoy the fresh air and sunlight. To celebrate National Bike Month, grab a friend and take a bike ride through beautiful College Woods!
Healthy UNH is celebrating National Bike Month with Bike/Walk to Work Day on Friday, May 16.
Join us at Murkland Courtyard, from 7:30-9:30am with a continental breakfast!
- About Us
- Health Cost
- Health Measurement
- Address the Stress
- Be Aware Everywhere
- Campus Fitness Facility Schedules
- Campus Fitness Map
- Campus Walking Guide
- Healthy Eating Guide
- Healthy UNH Video & Media Library
- Using the Health Education Benefit on Campus
- USNH Benefit Resources
- Wellness Resource Guide
- Wildcat Plate
- Wildcat Workout Project
- Yoga on Campus
- Healthy UNH Faculty and Staff Summer Outings
- I am Healthy UNH!
- National Prevention Strategy
- Contact Us