Reply to comment
Friday, January 18, 2013
After getting home from class or work on a dark, chilly night why not warm up with a nice cup of hot chocolate? Hot chocolate can be a great treat to curb any sweet cravings plus you can add your own personal twist to it.
The typical “instant” mixes can contain corn syrup, hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, artificial flavorings, and many more ingredients that our grandparents have never heard of! The amount of these ingredients and others depends on the type of mix. Some companies, such as Swiss Miss have a line called Sensible Sweets that include diet and sugar free instant mixes. These are in fact sensible alternatives and good options for a late night snack.
If you are interested in getting away from the packaged hot chocolate try a basic recipe suggested by SELF Healthier Hot Chocolate:
- 2 cups powdered milk
- 2/3 cup sugar (or less! It is up to you)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (or more if you like it chocolaty)
- A pinch of salt
Combine all these ingredients and keep them in an air-tight container. Next time you crave hot chocolate boil some water, add ¼ cup of mix into a mug, pour the water in, stir, and enjoy!
Some alternatives include…
- Using warm milk instead of boiled water to make a creamier beverage
- To make it dairy-free remove the powdered milk and use almond or soy milk and blend together with the chocolaty mix
- Feel free to use sweetened cocoa powder if you like a drink that is chocolate rich!
- To cut back on the sugar, a more natural low calorie sweetener can be used such as True-via or other Stevia-based products
Kick up the flavor by…
- Adding a splash of vanilla extract to enhance the chocolaty goodness!
- Cinnamon can be added to the original mix to give a different flavor
- Spice things up a bit by adding 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper! This may help fight any inflammation in the body
Try this recipe and feel free to continue looking up ways to add more spunk to a favorite winter drink!
- About Us
- Health Cost
- Health Measurement
- Address the Stress
- Be Aware Everywhere
- Campus Fitness Facility Schedules
- Campus Fitness Map
- Campus Walking Guide
- Healthy Eating Guide
- Healthy UNH Video & Media Library
- Using the Health Education Benefit on Campus
- USNH Benefit Resources
- Wellness Resource Guide
- Wildcat Plate
- Wildcat Workout Project
- Yoga on Campus
- I am Healthy UNH!
- National Prevention Strategy
- Contact Us