Eating Healthy on a Budget
Healthy, yummy, and cheap??! Impossible you think, I’ll prove you wrong!
As college students, sometimes food can become a lesser priority when you have tests, assignments, work, and etc. If you live in an apartment on campus I have some tips on how to eat healthy while not breaking your budget!
- Make your own coffee/tea at home, and bring a travelers mug with you to class.Coffee is often very over priced at college campuses, try making your own!
- Try having a “family dinner”, have everyone bring different dishes and eat with a group of friends!(Try assigning everyone a different food group to have a balanced meal!)
- Invest in a crock-pot!These are great if you have classes all day, you can come home and have a meal ready!
- Left-overs are your friend!Try making more then you need that way you can freeze foods and reheat them when you are pressed for time!
- Canned and frozen vegetables and fruit are great options.They are usually cheaper, last longer, and just as nutritious!Don’t believe me?Check out this ABC news article.
- Plan your meals.If you know what you are making for the week it will make shopping easier and allow you to plan around your meals.
- Compare prices!Always check the unit price and price per pound to make sure you get the best deals!
- Try buying in season!Usually getting foods that are currently in season is a great way to save money.Get fruits and vegetables that are fresh from local venders all while supporting local business!
- Shop clearance.Grab a flyer when walking into supermarkets and look at what is on sale.Often times produce will have weekly deals!
- Try my spaghetti sauce recipe! I use the leftovers for ravioli, eggplant parmesan, and even stuffed peppers.
- Simmer on low in a crock-pot for 4-6 hours in a crock-pot.
- Combine: 2 cans of tomato sauce, 1 can of tomato paste, 1 can of crushed tomatoes. Add the vegetables and meat. Season as desired.
- Brown 1 pound of ground turkey.
- Sauté: 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, 4 cloves of garlic, and 1 red onion.
- About Us
- Health Cost
- Health Measurement
- Address the Stress
- Be Aware Everywhere
- Campus Fitness Facility Schedules
- Campus Fitness Map
- Campus Walking Guide
- Healthy Eating Guide
- Healthy UNH Video & Media Library
- Using the Health Education Benefit on Campus
- USNH Benefit Resources
- Wellness Resource Guide
- Wildcat Plate
- Wildcat Workout Project
- Yoga on Campus
- Healthy UNH Faculty and Staff Summer Outings
- I am Healthy UNH!
- National Prevention Strategy
- Contact Us