Tea Time

Friday, March 7, 2014

zirconicusso

What’s better than enjoying a nice cup of tea to either jumpstart your day or wind down at night?

Your routine cup of tea not only gives you a boost of energy in the morning or helps you relax before falling asleep at night, but it can also be very beneficial for you health! Recent research from the Harvard School of Public Health has shown that tea is full of antioxidants and flavonoids that can be good for you health and help protect against disease!

Benefits one can receive from drinking tea include:  

• Reduced risk of cardiovascular disease
  • Protection from cancer
  • Reduced risk of hypertension (high blood pressure)
  • Improved memory

While any tea is a great beverage choice when compared to sugary drinks or juices, try sticking to drinking green, black, white or oolong tea. These teas are classified as “real tea” and contain the maximum health benefits!

Be cautious when drinking tea at coffee shops, cafés, restaurants or any tea that is pre-brewed and packaged in bottles. These could contain added sweeteners and other harmful substances that could reduce all of the benefits that tea has to give. Always buy tea that can be brewed at home and either enjoyed warm right away, or chilled for cold iced tea later! 

Comments

Hi Mollie,I really enjoyed

Hi Mollie,I really enjoyed reading your article on the health benefits of drinking tea. I have always been an avid coffee drinker, but I was not aware of the negative impact that many of the artificial sweeteners could have on my body over time. After reading about the antioxidants and nutrients that tea contains I am going to consider switching to tea in order to decrease my coffee consumption. The rates of some the diseases you described, such as hypertension and cardiovascular disease are significantly and promoting this healthy caffeine alternative  could have a very positive impact!Heather DeMello

I really enjoy spearmint tea,

I really enjoy spearmint tea, with a little bit of honey, its relaxing and also helps you to digest! I also recently learned that green tea and black tea all comes from the same plant however its from different parts and they have the same nutritional benefits.