The Power of Yoga

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Photo: Marin

Getting our daily dosage of physical activity is extremely important; providing countless health benefits, ranging from disease prevention to positive mental health. Regardless of how important it is, it can be very challenging for people to find a form of physical activity that really works for them. Not everybody enjoys running or cross-fit, and can be discouraged by the gym. Good news! There is a great form of physical activity out there that is good for the soul and doesn’t even require you to leave your bedroom.  Yoga!

Yoga is a great activity to do for many reasons. It is a low impact activity that also provides a great workout. Yoga is a series of body movements ranging in difficulty that require your body to use its own weight. Yoga also focuses on stretching and proper breathing, something that is oftentimes overlooked in other forms of activity. I love yoga because I can get a great workout in while also winding down from my crazy academic and work schedule. It is extremely calming and helps me better cope with the stresses in my life. After every yoga class I feel stretched, relaxed, and overall healthier and happier. The other great thing about yoga is it doesn't require a gym! If you're like me, you enjoy the atmosphere of a yoga studio. If that isn’t something you are into or can easily access, you can purchase yoga videos or easily find yoga routines online. There are endless resources for those seeking yoga instruction and many of them are free! All you need is a yoga mat and some loose fitting, comfortable clothing. Personally, I love going to yoga classes, even if they do cost a little bit more than at home videos. If you are interested in checking out some local yoga classes, look no further than campus! Health Services offers yoga every Wednesday and Friday to students and Campus Rec offers yoga to students and members several times a week.

Comments