Protein Problems?

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

By:

africa

Ever since the term “pink slime” was brought to our attention meat is seemingly less appealing. Red meat in particular over chicken or other poultry. Personally I don’t consider myself to be a vegetarian, but if I am offered a veggie burger or a hamburger I will always chose the non-meat option. Since I do not eat much meat I need to make sure that I am getting protein from other sources! 

What are other good sources of protein? Eggs, nuts, and dairy are just a couple! Seeds and nuts are the easiest to eat on the go and are perfect for a snack option. Yes, this includes peanut butter as well. Try to limit the amount of protein you consume through seeds and nut butters because they are often high in fat. Although these fats are considered to be healthy, it is smart to eat them in moderation. 

Dairy products, yogurt and cottage cheese especially, are high in protein. Chobani Greek Yogurt has a variety of flavors and packs 14-15g of protein into each serving! There are both non-fat and low-fat options. Cottage cheese can be made into a delicious protein-packed treat by adding fruit to it or even putting in on top of a salad. Pineapple with cottage cheese is filling and can help curb your craving for something sweet. 

An expert quoted in the Men’s Health article 8 Foods That Pack On Muscle stated, “Calorie for calorie, you need less protein from eggs than you do from other sources to achieve the same muscle-building benefits." One egg has about 6 grams of protein! Another perk to eating eggs is the Vitamin B12, which is very important for fat breakdown and muscle contractions. Vegetarians and vegans need to make sure they are consuming enough Vitamin B12 because this deficiency overtime can have irreversible effects. To find out more about this essential vitamin check out: The Vegan Society.

Log onto http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm
to find a list of high protein foods and how many grams of protein there are in a serving!

Comments