UNH Health Services Now Offering Guided Meditation

Monday, September 10, 2012

By:

Lyin Schramm

Many students only think about going to the Health Services when they are sick enough to miss class, myself included, but this year Health Services wants to really promote personal well-being. The other day, the Director of Education & Promotion, Kathleen Grace-Bishop, came to speak to a student group that I am involved in. She spoke about what Health Services has to offer, and I was completely blown away. She emphasized that they have recently hired two new massage therapists to keep up with the student demand, and now individual meditation lessons are offered. I was aware that massages were given at Health Services, but the concept of guided meditation really made me think. What exactly is meditation?

This once fad has now been proven to have numerous health benefits for all ages.

Meditation helps to clear the mind and allows you to become in tune with yourself and your surroundings. An article from the NY Times How Mediation May Change The Brain explains how specific areas related to memory, anxiety, learning, and stress are triggered during this period of silence. No evidence exists stating any negative results from meditation, so it is worth a shot!

The beginning of each semester is very hectic when it comes to moving in, reorganizing, and getting your mind back into “school mode”, so what better way to calm down than with meditation? Individual appointments can be made by calling (603) 862-3823 and starting September 10, guided meditation will be hosted in MUB, Room 304 from 12-1pm. For more information about this topic check out the page on the Healthy Services website!

Comments

Wonderful WebSite!

You have such a wonderful website here! Great! I really like it!