Beating the Nighttime Blues

Friday, November 18, 2011

Photo: Courtesy of Simon Howden

With the constant stress of school, work, or other day-to-day events, a majority of people have a hard time shutting off their brain to get some shut eye. During finals week or feeling completely overwhelmed with other commitments, I find myself not receiving enough of sleep due my racing mind standing in the way. However, an article recently published in Women’s Health, explores some remedies to calm our nerves during one of the most important times of day.

Some of the solutions were ones I have been given in the past, such as not consuming anything with caffeine close to bedtime and using specific breathing techniques when laying in bed. However, some other options such as adding pillows and taking a bath before bed, were ones I had never considered. Pillows are claimed to be “ the most important equipment for working out your z's” and should be supportive, comfortable, and suitable to your sleeping style. The magazine also offers a link to finding your perfect pillow match depending on your sleeping position. When our body temperature drops, it causes the perfect sleeping conditions. Women’s Health suggests us to take a hot bath or shower and lay down to allow us to cool off. Another recommendation made by the magazine is to not eat too close to bedtime because it may cause indigestion or frequent trips to the bathroom during the middle of the night; something we definitely want to avoid! Check out the rest of the article to find other simple, yet effective ways to squeeze out the most amount of sleep possible suitable to your lifestyle!

Comments