Smoothie Your Way to a Healthier Life

Monday, March 7, 2011

Having a tough time consuming your recommended servings of fruit per day? Ever tried making a smoothie? Smoothies are a quick and easy way to fit in your daily recommended intake of fruits while enjoying a delicious sweet treat. All you need is a blender, some fruit, and some juice. The best part, you can hide other healthy foods in them too! My personal favorite smoothie is what I call the Tropical Island Smoothie. Here’s the recipe:

¾ cup frozen mango

¼ cup frozen strawberry

1 inch slice of banana

¼ cup pineapple

1 cup of orange juice

Put all the fruit into a blender with approximately ¾ cup of the orange juice. Blend until it starts to get smooth and gradually add the last ¼ cup of orange juice until desired thickness. Occasionally I mix my orange juice with a little bit of water so the orange flavor isn’t overpowering over all of the other delicious fruit flavors.

Other great options to add into your smoothie to give it an extra healthy punch are vegetables! Adding just a few leaves of romaine lettuce, kale, or even some carrots or broccoli can add the benefits of vegetables while masking the taste with the fruit.

The rule of thumb with smoothies is to put in whatever fruits and vegetables you like and test it until you get your desired flavor. Some people use yogurts and sherbet, while others use frozen fruit or ice. Whatever your preference, remember that smoothies are a great way to get your recommended daily intake of fruits, and are great snacks or meals to keep you full longer.

Comments

Looks yummy! This would be

Looks yummy! This would be perfect for summer. What do you prefer, yoghurt or ice? I'm thinking which of the two should I use...

I am really not a fan of

I am really not a fan of eating frozen food. but eating fruits is a great way to keep you helthier. thanks

Thank you.

I am following your site for a long time.We have visitors, write effective articles.Thank you all for your effort.
My English is not very good grammar errors may occur.

I am following your site for a long time.We have visitors, write effective articles.Thank you all for your effort.My English is not very good grammar errors may occur.