Fall for the Fall

Friday, October 1, 2010

Photo: Courtesy of Sarah Sceery

As the temperatures start to drop out of the 70’s, many people begin to get into “winter” mode and forget about all the great things the fall has to offer, especially in New England.  This season is a great time to take advantage of some outside physical activities.  Around UNH, you can find some great running routes or take a stroll through college woods. All the leaves are beginning to change colors and a walk in college woods is not only great for your health, but maybe a nice stress reliever too!

However, if you really want to take advantage of your surroundings, try going for a hike. With the cool weather and beautiful scenery, there are trails and mountains all over New Hampshire for hiking pros (such as parts of Mount Washington) or for hiking amateurs. Last year I went to Mt. Major, overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee and it was a great physical challenge. There were different trails going up and it took about an hour and a half to reach the summit. Hiking up the mountain was a really great work out for my muscles and once I reached the top the whole experience paid off.   Hiking is a great way to get active with a group of friends. It could be a quick hike near Durham, or a day-long event somewhere up north. It’s an activity that works all different muscles in the body, and you can control the time and the intensity depending on how hard you work getting up the mountain. 

Before the cold and the snow come creeping in, make some time for outside exercise. Try to include a group of friends and make it a challenge between everyone. As your hiking, don’t forget to take a break and realize what’s around you! For trail information and places to go, check out this website for trails throughout New Hampshire.

Comments

Great hiking boots

New Hamshire has some *beautiful* hiking opportunities. Fall is certainly a nice time to go, but year-round you can find some nice places to get outdoors and see some amazing vistas.

One of the key pieces of equipment, is a solid pair of hiking boots. I'm interested in hearing anyone's experiences hiking with Ecco Xpedition shoes and boots at http://eccoxpedition.com. I've heard great things so far.

BTW - Don't miss Mount Monadnock. It's the second-most climbed mountain in the world (after Fuji).

Enjoy!

I discovered your bl

I discovered your blog site on google and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on!… greating