What do I do if I need care after Health Services is closed?

Per agreement between the University and Wentworth-Douglass Hospital (WDH), UNH students who need medical services when Health Services is closed have the following options available to them:

  • Medical Emergency - For a medical problem requiring immediate assistance, call 911 to get an ambulance. Ambulance fees are not covered in the UNH-WDH agreement.
  • Minor Illness & Injuries - If medical treatment is not urgent but you are not sure treatment can wait until Health Services is open, call Health Services at (603) 862-WELL (9355) and press 2.  You will be automatically connected to the Emergency Department (ED) at WDH. A nurse will conduct a phone assessment, and make suggestions for additional care options, including a possible visit to the WDH ED in Dover or the WDH Urgent Care Center at Lee.
  • Urgent Care Visits - If a visit to the WDH ED or WDH Urgent Care Center at Lee is necessary, and you take private transportation (not an ambulance), the agreement will cover minor to moderate injuries and illnesses such as: sore throats, earaches, abrasions or contusions, simple burns, bronchitis, dermatitis, simple flu, sprains and strains.  Unfortunately, one cannot know prior to evaluation how serious the problem is and there is a possibility the visit may not be covered under the agreement.

Payment Information

There will be a minimum co-payment for which you will be billed later.  However, patients arriving by ambulance are not covered by this agreement and are responsible for the entire hospital bill.  You will be responsible for any charges not covered by this agreement.

Examples of diagnoses and care not covered by the agreement: moderate to severe illness or injury such as deep lacerations requiring stitches, complicated asthma, seizures, chest pains, alcohol and/or other drugs intoxication/overdose, abdominal pain and extremity fractures; intravenous injection; admission to the hospital; CT scans or ultrasounds; non-emergency department physician consultations; or the use of an ambulance to or from the hospital. 

Transportation to WDH ED or WDH Urgent Care Center at Lee

If you do not need ambulance and you do not have private transportation and cannot take a bus and you live on campus.  The nurse at WDH can contact the Medicat service to have you transported to and from the hospital.

If an urgent care visit is needed:

  • If you arrive by transportation other than an ambulance there will be a minimum co-pay charged for a minor injury or illness.  You do not need payment at the time of the visit.  You will be billed later for the co-payment by Health Services.
  • If you are transported by ambulance, neither the ambulance services nor subsequent treatment at WDH are covered in the agreement.  You will be billed for the full cost of transportation and treatment.
  • Personal insurance information is necessary in case emergency care exceeds the level of coverage provided by the agreement.

Additional hospitals located near UNH: 

Note:  Information provided in this summary is for general reference only. Actual cost may vary due to the specific nature of individual cases. For information contact Dennis Dupuis, Quality Improvement Coordinator

When Health Services is Open: Call us at (603) 862-WELL (9355) or make an appointment online. If it is an emergency, call 911. 

Medical Emergency When Health Services is Closed: Call 911 to get an ambulance. 

Minor Illnesses & Injuries When Health Services is Closed: Call UNH Health Services (603) 862-WELL (9355) and press 2. You will be automatically connected to the Emergency Room at Wentworth-Douglass Hospital. 

Directions to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital

The agreement with Wentworth-Douglass Hospital is not in effect during summer, winter or spring breaks.