FAQ for Parents and Families

FAQ for Parents and Families

Frequently Asked Questions About Drinking at UNH 

My son/daughter is entering UNH as a first year student. Should I be talking with them about anything specific regarding drinking?

Yes. The NH Higher Education Alcohol and Other Drug Committee and the Office of Health Education and Promotion, UNH Health Services have put together two pamphlets that suggest how to communicate to your son/daughter about alcohol and other drugs.

What do I do if I think my son/daughter is drinking too much, or using drugs?

First, try to discuss your concerns with them. The most effective approach is to show your concern. Use "I" statements as much as possible. This will cut down on their possible defensiveness and allow them to process how their drinking or using is affecting you. Be supportive, but firm with your expectations of their use of alcohol and/or other drugs.

Does UNH offer support for parents and students?

Yes, Office of Health Education and Promotion has an Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Educator/Counselor with many years experience working with young adults and their parents. The educator/counselor is available to meet with parents or discuss their concerns over the phone. After the initial consultation, it will be determined what the next best step would be for the parent to take.

UNH students may receive free counseling, education and support from our office. This service is available to all students who have paid their health fee. All counseling is confidential between the counselor and the student. This mean your son/daughter needs to consent in writing to allow any communication to occur between the counselor and the parent.

The Counseling Center staff is also available to talk with parents or students.

Additional UNH Resources

New Hampshire - College and Young Adult Drinking and Drug Use  

Alcohol and drug use on college campuses is nationwide problem.  The transition from high school to college is a particularly vulnerable time, associated with increased alcohol and substance use and risk of related negative consequences. New Hampshire's (NH) research shows that 15% of NH college students think they may have an alcohol problem, and that NH young adults are more likely to use marijuana and other illegal drugs more than any other age group. 

To build awareness around the dangers of high risk drinking and other drug use among young adults, NH has issued the following information for students and parents:

  • Drinking and Substance Use Concerns among College Students
    Information about the health and safety risks of substance use, including; injuries, unsafe sex, academic problems, increased illnesses, accidents, housing evictions, police arrests. It also highlights the economic impact when a student may drop out of school due to alcohol abuse or other drug use.      
  • Parenting Through the College Years 
    Information that encourages parents to stay connected to their student as they settle into campus life.