Public Health Nutritionist
Foodlink, the regional food bank serving 10 counties in
Central and Western New York State, works with 450 Emergency Food Programs,
such as pantries and soup kitchens.
At Foodlink, nutrition education is a vital and integral part of the mission to impact the root causes of hunger. Just Say Yes to Fruits and Vegetables (JSY) is a hands-on educational component of the Supplemental Nutrition Education Program (SNAP).
The JSY Nutritionist will work as a Public Health Nutritionist, with Foodlink’s network of 450 agencies. He/she will work with clients at Emergency Food Programs (EFP’s) to enact obesity prevention efforts through increased awareness and use of fresh, nutritious foods.
- Coordinate and manage all day to day implementation activities of the Just Say Yes to Fruits and Vegetable program at Foodlink
- Schedule and conduct a minimum of 12 nutrition education sessions with at least 100 SNAP eligible per month using lesson plan materials provided
- Build relationships and work closely with key stakeholders from Foodlink member agencies in order to increase use of fresh produce in the emergency food system
- Maintain and provide required documentation for Foodlink and New York State Department of Health
- Participate in activities sponsored by the Foodlink, Hunger Prevention Nutrition Assistance Program (HPNAP), community groups and other partners to facilitate SNAP-Ed program objectives
- Utilize learner-centered and facilitated group discussion teaching techniques to enhance effectiveness of nutrition education sessions
- Seek opportunities for professional development to improve effectiveness in the performance of job duties
- Maintain regional calendar / contact information for JSY website
- Identify community events that support SNAP-Ed goals for the intended target audience
- Participate in all JSY team conference calls and events
- Actively promote Foodlink best practices at all partner programs and build capacity at Emergency Food Programs for food distribution and food safety.
- Participate in other Foodlink and JSY duties as assigned (ex. curriculum redesign, recipe development, food safety education, community coalition meetings, etc)
- BS, or higher, in nutrition, public health, health sciences, or related field
- Minimum 1-2 years experience in public health or community nutrition
- Registered dietitian, or registered dietitian eligible preferred
- Experience in sales and/or the food industry
- Maintain ServSafe certification
- Communicates clearly and concisely, orally and in writing, with all segments of the community
- Exhibits a high level of attention to detail
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with a good driving record, have access to a vehicle
- Able to write reports and business correspondence to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, agencies, customers and the general public
- Able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Able to delegate work effectively in a team environment
- Friendly, customer-oriented personality and a professional attitude and appearance at all times
Submit resume and cover letter to
1999 Mt. Read Blvd.
Rochester, NY 14615