Community Harvest Project, Inc. is a non-profit organization dedicated to growing, harvesting and donating fresh, high quality fruits and vegetables to local hunger relief efforts thanks to thousands of individuals, families and groups from our community and across the globe that come to our farm and orchard every year.
The Community Harvest Project (CHP) Orchard Assistant will work under the supervision of the Orchard Owner at Cheney Orchards in the town of Brimfield in western Massachusetts. Currently, the orchard designated for CHP use is approximately 4-5 acres and consists of approximately 3,000 apple trees. Expansion to additional acreage is possible and highly likely over the next few years.
This is a hands-on position where you will work, under the supervision of the Orchard Owner, on pruning, fertilizing, spraying, and mowing of the orchard. During harvest, the Orchard Assistant will oversee volunteer groups and participate in the picking, sorting, bagging and boxing process.
Specific requirements for the position include:
- Interest and commitment to Community Harvest Project’s overall mission and purpose
- Knowledge of orchard operations, some orchard experience
- Experience in operation of tractors and all related farm/orchard equipment
- Comfort with leading volunteer groups 4-6 weeks/year
- Flexible schedule based on seasonal task variation (30-40 hours/week, 9-12 months/year)
- Annual salary $30,000 - $35,000 based on qualifications
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com or:
Community Harvest Project
Attn: Ken Dion, Operations Director
37 Wheeler Road
North Grafton, MA 01536