The Brooklyn Kitchen is a cooking store. We provide tools, ingredients, and instruction.
The role of the grocery department is to enable cooks of all levels, especially the home cook, to create a meal confidently from high-quality, often locally-focused and responsibly sourced ingredients. The assortment of grocery goods should follow in line with this mission, creating a logical line of both staple and seasonal items for the home cook’s pantry.
The grocery buyer reports to the general manager, and works in tandem with the grocery department manager. The buyer is responsible for the curating and purchasing of all food items within the grocery department, following The Brooklyn Kitchen’s overall mission and vision.
Qualified candidates will be responsible for:
- Regular assessment of the selection and inventory of all grocery products.
- Research of new products and review of current product selection.
- Review of sales data to inform and anticipate future buying choices
- Interface with Farmers, distributors and producers
- Working with administrator to keep POS products current, reflecting seasonality
- Maintaining accurate inventory
- Educating staff and customers of new products
- Coordinating with Merchandiser, General Merchandise Dept and Education Dept to implement seasonal marketing campaigns
- Oversight of merchandising and display of produce and pantry items
- Maintaining positive relationships with customers, company reps, vendors and sales managers for current and potential products.
- 2 years minimum specialty food purchasing experience
- 1 year retail management
- Experience with Counterpoint POS a plus- Proficiency in Excel
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Punctuality and reliability
This is a full-time position in a fast-paced retail environment.
Weekends and holidays are a must.