Food System Educator
Food Systems Educator (P/T)
Darioush Epicurus is a sustainable food service company serving private K-12 schools in San Francisco. The Food Systems Program Coordinator is a new position, overseeing the development and
implementation of a new food systems education program at The San Francisco Day School. The Program Coordinator will be responsible for all aspects of food systems educational programming, including:
· Development of garden- and culinary-based nutrition curriculum for K-8 students, including cooking classes, field trips, classroom programs, and an after-school club.
· Development and implementation of gardening and composting infrastructure (containers, and/or rooftops) on a limited-space urban campus.
· Development and management of special in-cafeteria events and rotating educational displays that highlight different aspects of a healthy, sustainable food system.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Develop curriculum for garden and cooking classes, field trips, short-term programs, after school clubs, and possible parent workshops
· Ensure students experience gardening from seed-to-table, including propagation, planting, cultivation, composting, and maintenance
· Support faculty at SF Day in the development and integration of food systems lessons into other subjects, as necessary
· Mentor individual students in and out of class, model respect and curiosity for learning, and encourage students’ interests and talents
· Provide consistent leadership, training and collaboration with the faculty and staff at SF Day in order to integrate food systems issues into the collective educational environment
· Participate in Darioush Epicurus team meetings and program development meetings
· Maintain working knowledge of food systems program budget and provide budget management support
· Serve as a resource for parents interested in changing their home food environment
Supervision & Reporting:
· The Food Systems Program Coordinator reports to Thuy Pham, of Darioush Epicurus, and works in concert with the culinary team at The SF Day School
· Annual evaluations will be conducted to assess performance and establish goals
· BA in environmental studies, nutrition, agriculture or other related field
· Minimum 3 years direct experience teaching garden-based food systems and/or nutrition education in a K-8 setting
· In-depth knowledge of sustainable food systems required; knowledge of and connections to our local agricultural producers a big plus
· Experience or certification in gardening or farming method(s) (biointensive, permaculture, or similar) a plus
· Significant experience and success with developing food systems curriculum for youth
· Strong interpersonal and team-building skills; ability to work well with youth, parents, and faculty
· Possession of a valid California Drivers License
This is a part-time contract/freelance position beginning sometime in November of 2012 (potential for expanding the program to other partner schools). Compensation to be determined based on experience and qualifications.
To apply, please email your resume within message text and a letter detailing your qualifications to:
Thuy (twee) Pham firstname.lastname@example.org
Darioush Epicurus Fine